none
DPM 2012 - Changes size RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question regarding the Agent Journal with DPM2012.

My understanding is (correct me if 'm wrong) that the DPM agent will record every disk writes in a journal so that, when a synchronisation is requested, only the changes are transferred to the DPM server. Correct?

My question is: is there a Powershell command (or something else) that would allow to determine the amount of data that will be transferred to the server. Something that would query the journal. Or is there a way of looking in the journal to determine this?

Thank you,
    Stephane

Monday, February 4, 2013 5:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM has a file system filter driver (DPMFIlter) that keeps track of block level changes to the protected data sources. The DPMFilter creates a bitmap file that keeps track of blocks that have changed and need to be transferred.  We have no method to read that bitmap to display what you want.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM has a file system filter driver (DPMFIlter) that keeps track of block level changes to the protected data sources. The DPMFilter creates a bitmap file that keeps track of blocks that have changed and need to be transferred.  We have no method to read that bitmap to display what you want.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Thanks Mike, I was afraid that was the case.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:46 PM