none
Upgradebootstrap has failed with unknown exception RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm stumped.  Running SharePoint 2013 over Hyper-V with the following topology:

    1 Database server

    3 Application/WFE servers (1 for Central Admin, some BI stuff, 1 for Search, 1 for Project Server)

    It's a very basic test farm, running 2013 with SP1, only one site collection on port 80.  Trying to set up Project Server on a separate server from the rest of my test farm.  Installed Project Server, no problems.  Got the "Failed to initiate the upgrade sequence" error.  Discovered I needed to install Project Server SP1 so did that, no problems.  Still getting the error.  The logs give me nothing to do on, other that there's an SPUpgradeException error thrown, that's all.

    Anybody know what to do next?  Thanks


    Kevin McCarty

    Friday, February 6, 2015 9:18 PM

Answers

  • Try running the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard on all front end and middle tiers.

    Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Saturday, February 7, 2015 2:54 AM
    Moderator
  • Tried that.  Now the upgrade wizard won't run at all.  It says that the other two servers are missing the Microsoft Project Server 2013 installs altogether.  I tried reinstalling them without success (because they are already there, according to the installer).  I then uninstalled Project Server on the Search and Project server boxes and ran the upgrade on the Central Admin box, which then surprisingly worked - except it left Central Admin off so I restarted that.  Somehow, along the way, both of the other boxes were removed from the farm.  Then I tried reinstalling Project Server on the Project Server box along with SP1 and reran the wizard but the wizard acted as if the box had never been on the farm so it did a complete "Add me to the farm" configuration but it DID work.  Next I added the Search server and the same thing happened, had to re-add it to the farm but it worked too.  I'll have to tweak my search service to get it running on the search server again, but otherwise everything looks as it should, including, shockingly enough, Project Server.

    (Here's an interesting error - at one point I ran the wizard, got a "can't locate master database error", clicked on Advanced Settings button and got an unhandled exception crash - I think it might have been a timeout error originally).

    The key takeaway for me is you have to use all the exact same components (OS, installs and patches) when adding servers AND always apply in the order you added them or you are just asking for a resume-updating moment.  Just glad I got to learn this on a test platform.  SharePoint is the "SharePointiest" piece of software I have ever run across.


    Kevin McCarty

    • Marked as answer by Kevin McCarty Monday, February 9, 2015 12:30 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2015 12:30 AM

All replies

  • Try running the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard on all front end and middle tiers.

    Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Saturday, February 7, 2015 2:54 AM
    Moderator
  • Checking the servers in Central Admin, both the Search server and Project server say "Upgrade required" but on the search server, the configuration wizard will only repair and the project server fails the upgrade, central admin box says no action required and configuration wizard only has the repair option. Checked all the service packs and all boxes report everything has been applied.

    Are you saying I need to install the project server binaries on all servers in the farm?


    Kevin McCarty

    Saturday, February 7, 2015 5:49 AM
  • Project server binaries and patches will need to be installed onto all SharePoint servers in the farm. Paul

    Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

    Sunday, February 8, 2015 7:40 AM
    Moderator
  • Tried that.  Now the upgrade wizard won't run at all.  It says that the other two servers are missing the Microsoft Project Server 2013 installs altogether.  I tried reinstalling them without success (because they are already there, according to the installer).  I then uninstalled Project Server on the Search and Project server boxes and ran the upgrade on the Central Admin box, which then surprisingly worked - except it left Central Admin off so I restarted that.  Somehow, along the way, both of the other boxes were removed from the farm.  Then I tried reinstalling Project Server on the Project Server box along with SP1 and reran the wizard but the wizard acted as if the box had never been on the farm so it did a complete "Add me to the farm" configuration but it DID work.  Next I added the Search server and the same thing happened, had to re-add it to the farm but it worked too.  I'll have to tweak my search service to get it running on the search server again, but otherwise everything looks as it should, including, shockingly enough, Project Server.

    (Here's an interesting error - at one point I ran the wizard, got a "can't locate master database error", clicked on Advanced Settings button and got an unhandled exception crash - I think it might have been a timeout error originally).

    The key takeaway for me is you have to use all the exact same components (OS, installs and patches) when adding servers AND always apply in the order you added them or you are just asking for a resume-updating moment.  Just glad I got to learn this on a test platform.  SharePoint is the "SharePointiest" piece of software I have ever run across.


    Kevin McCarty

    • Marked as answer by Kevin McCarty Monday, February 9, 2015 12:30 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2015 12:30 AM