want to go back to XP RRS feed

• Question

• I created a seperate 65 gig hardrive partition on this computer to put vista on. my problem is I did not install it through XP but rather stuck the disk in on start and it asked where to install. I chose new drive , but now it is the only drive the computer sees instead of all 250 gigs. How do I get my xp back? I know its still there! ,but that's as far as I can get. Anybody any ideas??? Thanks for all responses.

Jim

Sunday, October 22, 2006 8:03 PM

All replies

• mmm.

The easy way is to use a live cd so that you can retrieve all your files.

I have not installed Vista yet so I do not know exactly where the problem is but I can assume that your pc boots in Vista directly. If this is the key then try to change the boot.ini so that you will start the winxp. You can try to paste the boot.ini file from an other pc, if you have.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 8:23 PM
  • Thanks Talosman, I haven't tried my XP system restore disks yet. waiting for the weekend so I have more time. To be a little clearer, I have a 250 G hardrive and XP was on my C drive. I created another partition using Partition Magic 8 and have read that Vista RC1 has problems with this program. When I installed Vista on this 65 G partion I created, It is now the C drive and because I didn't install through XP, it doesn't recognize that the rest of the 250 G drive even exists!
    Thursday, October 26, 2006 6:24 PM
  • Still waiting for a little more info on the removal dbailey18, but do appreciate the help. Thanks again.

JIm

• Proposed as answer by dbailey18 Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:06 PM
    Thursday, October 26, 2006 6:27 PM