Terminal server upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am totally new for terminal server. We are planning to upgrade terminal server from windows server 2008 r2 sp1 to windows server 2012 R2. I have just checked we have license for 100 clients.

In our remote desktop services I could see following features:

(1) Remote Desktop configuration manager

(2) Remote Desktop Gateway Manager

(3) Remote Desktop Licensing Manager

(4) Remote Desktop Services Manager

(5) Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration

(6) Remote Desktop Web Access Configuration

(7) Remote desktops

(8) RemoteApp Manager

Do you have legitimate steps to install above terminal services on windows server 2008 r2 sp1?

I was trying to upgrade windows 2012 r2 on my test environment. When I hit upgrade, it says you have to remove remote service features from previous os(windows server 2008 r2 sp1).

Could we upgrade windows server 2008 r2 sp1 to windows server 2012 r2?

Do you have steps to upgrade windows server 2012 r2 ?

How could I get license version through the upgrade or I have to buy new license for the windows server 2012 r2 upgrade?

How could I make .rdp file to access all clients on campus? How could I give permission in existing rdp file to access all employees in campus?

Thanks for your input.

Thanks

RV16

Virtual Reality

Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to this article below, Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS role services cannot be migrated to Windows Server 2012/R2, please install and configure RDS role sevrices on Windows Server 2012 R2 from scratch.

Migration Guide for RDS WS2008 R2 RDSH Farm to WS2012 RDS Deployments
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17021.migration-guide-for-rds-ws2008-r2-rdsh-farm-to-ws2012-rds-deployments.aspx

How could I get license version through the upgrade or I have to buy new license for the windows server 2012 r2 upgrade?

You will need to purchase RDS CALs if Software Assurance is not present.

Here is a related thread below for you:

Licensing RDP from 2008 to 2012
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/ac088240-5409-497e-92c5-1b0c3db58bd1/licensing-rdp-from-2008-to-2012?forum=winserverTS

How could I make .rdp file to access all clients on campus? How could I give permission in existing rdp file to access all employees in campus?

Regarding this query, instead of using .rdp files, it's recommended that users access Windows Server 2012/R2 RDS collection via RD Web Access page.

Best Regards,
    Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by VR16 Friday, August 5, 2016 2:09 PM
    Friday, August 5, 2016 12:23 PM
  • How could I make .rdp file to access all clients on campus? How could I give permission in existing rdp file to access all employees in campus?

Regarding this query, instead of using .rdp files, it's recommended that users access Windows Server 2012/R2 RDS collection via RD Web Access page.

We are using one software it called Jenzabar and for that we are using rdp file. And we have custom.And every employee get used of this custom.I have to create rdp file for that software and follow that custom.

Virtual Reality

Friday, August 5, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

In my opinion, you may publish this software as RemoteApp program, then download the .rdp file from RD Web Access page with third-party browser, after that customize intended settings and distribute the modified .rdp file to users.

User who have access permission to the RDS collection and corresponding RemoteApp User Assignment will be able to use the .rdp file.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Friday, August 19, 2016 1:19 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 1:24 AM