none
Office 365 click to run and app-v SP2/SP3 breaks sharepoint editing feature

Question

• Spend many hours on this issue. We currently moving to sccm 2012 from Altiris and also upgrading to Office 365 from Office 2010. We are using app-v SP3 and Office 365 click to run.

We have sharepoint WSS 3.0 and a newly setup with Sharepoint 2013 that we planning on migrating to.

Problem:

When you have upgraded to Office 365 click to run and have App-v client installed:

On WSS 3.0:

Clicking on a doc opens it. If check out setting is set to required on the current website you get yellow ribbon to checkout otherwise not and you can't save your changes. Clicking on the drop-down and edit in excel/word or clicking new document, you get the following error "Edit Document requires a Windows SharePoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or greater

On Sharepoint 2013:

You can open and edit in online app word/excel but can't open the doc at all with local installation of office 365 (ie office 2013).

Only solution I've found is:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_integration__sharepoint/archive/2014/10/15/office-365-click-to-run-and-app-v-5-sp2-quot-edit-document-requires-a-microsoft-sharepoint-foundation-compatible-application-and-web-browser-quot-error-when-opening-documents-from-sharepoint.aspx

Questions:

Is there any other way of resolving this?

Since the majority of our users are dependent on Sharepoint we need a permanent solution, how to implement it in task sequence?

How will deleting iexplore.exe in reg key affect other applications (app-v and win32)?

Should I also delete the entry for explore.exe in the same key?

We can't be the only ones with this issue, here is our install for app-v 5 SP3:

appv_client_setup_SP3.exe /q /NORESTART /ACCEPTEULA /ENABLEPACKAGESCRIPTS=1

Monday, May 18, 2015 7:52 AM

Answers

• Thanks for such a quick answer, but this only confirms what I already knew.

Do you have any solutions on some of my quiestions:

1. Since the majority of our users are dependent on Sharepoint we need a permanent solution, how to implement it in task sequence?

2. How will deleting iexplore.exe in reg key affect other applications (app-v and win32)?

3.  Should I also delete the entry for explore.exe in the same key?

Thanks!

1. You can edit the registry key after the App-V client installation.

2. No it does not, you just don't have Dynamic Virtualization anymore. Which allows virtualization of shell extensions and ActiveX controls automatically within the native process. 

3. No, you should not remove that one from the list.

Twitter | Blog | App-V Deployment Whitepaper | My AppX section
    If you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, May 18, 2015 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Anders,

I have also seen problems with the Office - SharePoint integration, removing the App-V Client solves it. But that is off course no option.

Symptoms:

No possibility to check-out, only to Save documents:

Menu unavailable and the error you describe:

I solved this by removing iexplore.exe from the registry key value ProcessesUsingVirtualComponents  under key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Virtualization.

The best is to open a support ticket at Microsoft. As stated in the article: The product group is actively investigating this issue, check back to this blog post for updates.

Twitter | Blog | App-V Deployment Whitepaper
    If you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, May 18, 2015 8:28 AM

Since the majority of our users are dependent on Sharepoint we need a permanent solution, how to implement it in task sequence?

How will deleting iexplore.exe in reg key affect other applications (app-v and win32)?

Should I also delete the entry for explore.exe in the same key?

Thanks!

Monday, May 18, 2015 9:27 AM

1. Since the majority of our users are dependent on Sharepoint we need a permanent solution, how to implement it in task sequence?

2. How will deleting iexplore.exe in reg key affect other applications (app-v and win32)?

3.  Should I also delete the entry for explore.exe in the same key?

Thanks!

1. You can edit the registry key after the App-V client installation.

2. No it does not, you just don't have Dynamic Virtualization anymore. Which allows virtualization of shell extensions and ActiveX controls automatically within the native process. 

3. No, you should not remove that one from the list.

Monday, May 18, 2015 2:13 PM
  • Ok, I'll mark it as an answer.

For editing regkey in TS, is the best way to the delete the whole key and then import the the with the new values through script?

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:04 AM
  • Ok, I'll mark it as an answer.

For editing regkey in TS, is the best way to the delete the whole key and then import the the with the new values through script?

Sure, or just set a new value using PoSH:

Set-ItemProperty -path Registry::'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Virtualization' -name ProcessesUsingVirtualComponents -value "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe"

• Edited by RalJans Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:24 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:24 PM