Set permissions on Root of Public Folders in Exchange 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been Googling for a while, and haven't found the answer...so I'll try here:

We have created an AD group to deny access to all public folders in Exchange 2010. I used the following command to apply this group with a permission level of None to all public folders, and that worked well: 

AddUserstoPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\" -User "<group>" -Permission None

This doesn't, however, do anything with new public folders created after this command was executed. My question here is: Is it possible to apply permissions to the Root (the "\", not the Top-Level Folders) Public Folder, so that any new Top-Level Public Folders would inherit those new permissions automatically? I've tried:

Add-PublicFolderClientPermission -Identity "\" -User "<group>" -AccessRights None

It results in:

Failed to commit the change on object "\" because access is denied. + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Add-PublicFolderClientPermission], MapiAccessDeniedException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 846560AB,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.MapiTasks.AddPublicFolderClientPermission

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Q: Is it possible to apply permissions to the Root (the "\", not the Top-Level Folders) Public Folder, so that any new Top-Level Public Folders would inherit those new permissions automatically?

By default, it’s not possible. We need to re-run AddUserstoPFRecursive.ps1 script to assign new permissions to new Top-Level Public Folders. Workaround: Add this command to Task Scheduler.

About that error, the Identity parameter specifies the GUID or public folder name that represents a specific public folder. You can also include the path using the format TopLevelPublicFolder\PublicFolder.

Best Regards.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:30 AM