RE: Unable to install my new Kodak 5500 All In One Printer.l RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have read the comments about installing the 5000 series printer and the associated software.  I don't know all the circumstances surrounding the different installs, but I would like to give a few general tips for anyone who still cares.

FIRST: To the person with the BAD_POOL_CALLER error, I searched Microsoft Knowledge base and found this issue with several OS systems for various reasons.  Microsoft states it is a known problem and in most cases there is a hot fix for it. They also suggest waiting until the next service pack comes out (depending on when it was written and what the exact issue is).

SECOND: The software will work on both XP with service pack two and Vista.  Make sure your system meets the miminum requirements. All products state these requirements on the product box if people would just read them.

THIRD: The printer works well on a USB2 cable 6 foot or less and it needs the full power of a usb port (not on a hub). It will work on a USB 1.1 and even if it is longer than 6 ft, but you might have intermittent connection problems. In the case of Dell computers, the USB ports are sometimes a problem because of the way Dell configures them internally. Sometimes you have to try each port until the software recognizes the printer and will allow you to click on the NEXT button. If it does not see it, the software will sit there until hell freezes over.

FORTH: You can do just about everything using Microsoft's drivers that you can do with Kodak software execpt scan documents to rtf format for editing and programming your phonebook on the 5500, which you need the HomeCenter software to do each of those. There might be one or two more, but those are the big ones as far as I'm concerned.

FIFTH: The fax machine will not work on a digital phone line. If you have DSL you need to have a filter on the line going to the fax just as you do going to your phone.

SIXTH: Kodak does have at least 2 call centers in the US. One is right at Kodak headquarters in Rochester, NY, which handles only All in One Printer calls.

Well, that's all I can think of without having detailed information. Bottom line, the software can be a little tricky, but for the most part, it installs without any problems. Most of the time the problems are caused by the individual computer; what is installed on it, how full the hard drive is, how fragmented it is, etc. Sometimes antivirus software and firewalls will prevent some files from installing, which causes the install to fail.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:55 PM