none
Windows 8.1 Local administrator account disabled after first reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I have this odd problem that local administrator account in windows 8.1 get disabled after first reboot during deployment.

i never had this problem before until i updates my windows 8 ref. image.

I thought something must have happend to the image that is doing it, but even if I used my previous wim images from backups, I still have the same problem.

I even resotred the whole deployment share to the date prior to the date this issue happend , and still have this problem.

at this point the problem should be related to mdt itself not the image.

mu thoughts is that it could be unattend.xml is not working the way it is supposed to but dont know how to truble shoot that.

any Idea?

thanks

\

Monday, November 2, 2015 12:28 AM

All replies

• Try creating a new task sequence based off of your image, so that it creates a new unattend file. Keep it basic and see if that deploys properly. If it does then use that new task sequence and make the changes you need to turn it into a production TS.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, November 2, 2015 2:44 PM
  • If you restored your DS back to the old stuff and you are seeing this then there might be something external causing it.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Monday, November 2, 2015 7:21 PM
  • I just tired it with new TS and experienced same issue.

My windows 7 thought does not have this problem, Odd!!!

I am going to create another admin account in my windows 8 image and try it that way.

Dan:

How could something external could do things like this?

beside nothing has change to the process I always used to deployed windows 8.1

Thanks

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:43 PM
  • Is your machine joining a domain? Maybe it's getting a policy that disables the Administrator account. MDT wouldn't even attempt to disable the admin account because it needs it to function.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:57 PM
  • Additionally, verify the image was properly syspreped.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:29 PM
  • I am not joining to domain using MDT to avoid policies, instead I use my own script at the very end.Today, I Resorted my DS from the backup with same problem.

I am going Nuts

Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:13 PM
  • Well then, as Keith mentioned make sure your image was properly syspreped. This might help give you some tips on building a new image. http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

I like having a separate DS setup purely for building reference images. I have the customsettings.ini configured with

DoCapture=YES
    ComputerBackupLocation=NETWORK
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    FinishAction=SHUTDOWN

That way you don't have to use a second task sequence to sysprep. Just be sure to add a suspend task sequence somewhere in there so you can shutdown the machine and make a snapshot using your favorite VM software.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:29 PM
  • I created another TS to deploy from DVD , suspend and then capture the image like it was instructed in the link

but after windows was deployed , it crashed after first reboot and is not booting up at all. So definitely something wrong with the deployment share.

I then created another deployment share and was able to deploy, suspend and capture the image.

the image deployment using the second deployment share was successful also.

the question is what could possibly go wrong with my old deployment share that could issue like this?

I don't really want to recreate a new DS since I have lots of settings, drives and customization in my previous one that I like to avoid recreating them.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:31 PM
  • You must have something broken in your original DS, but even if you don't want to start with a clean one you might end up spending more time trying to fix the original than the time it would take to rebuild a working deployment share. You can open both of them in the workbench and copy and paste applications, the same goes for OS images, but I would recommend you create new task sequences.

Friday, November 6, 2015 2:09 PM
  • I noticed something in my Ref. image.

the skiprearm is 0 in registry, should I change it to 1 and then try the sysprep?

this is how I have created my ref. image:

installed win8.1 Ent x64 in VMware, installed basic Applications and office, modified registry Key for KMS activation , activated windows ( hadn't done that , it would have asked me to activate with black background which would not go away even after KMS activation) , took snapshot in VM, ran LTITouch.vbs from deploymentshare\scripts folder to capture the image into mdt (I had created TS for that already )

Friday, November 6, 2015 7:17 PM
  • You shouldn't be trying to activate anything in the reference image, that goes against what you are trying to do by sysprepping it. Since you're working with Windows 8.1 you should look over the link I posted earlier and make sure you're following that to ensure you get a good working image. You can of course continue using VMware instead of Hyper-V. If you are installing Office 2013 on your image then be sure to supply your own script to rearm Office unless you are using MDT 2013 Update 1.

Honestly if you keep having problems, try building a new image and follow the guide.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Friday, November 6, 2015 7:25 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2015 7:23 PM
  • I was able to fix the problem by removing the content of the boot folder and updating deployment share to have it recreate the whole folder.

looks like something was wrong in WinPE and was not running the Dism command to apply unattend.xml properly. I found lots of error in dism.log in this regard.

Thanks

Monday, November 9, 2015 2:58 PM
  • I noticed something in my Ref. image.

the skiprearm is 0 in registry, should I change it to 1 and then try the sysprep?

this is how I have created my ref. image:

installed win8.1 Ent x64 in VMware, installed basic Applications and office, modified registry Key for KMS activation , activated windows ( hadn't done that , it would have asked me to activate with black background which would not go away even after KMS activation) , took snapshot in VM, ran LTITouch.vbs from deploymentshare\scripts folder to capture the image into mdt (I had created TS for that already )

You are out of rearms.  Changing the registry won't fix that.  Your base image needs to a rebuild.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Monday, November 9, 2015 7:26 PM
  • Hello Ty

to verify your comment, I created a new image and checked the Rearm registry key for newly created image was also 0

Monday, November 9, 2015 8:13 PM
  • Are you rebuilding your base image from a custom WIM or from a fresh clean \sources\Install.wim (DVD)?

Monday, November 9, 2015 8:27 PM
  • I deployed from DVD
    Monday, November 9, 2015 8:39 PM
  • For clarity: Are you booting the machine you sysprep'd and see that the Administrator account is disabled? If so this is exactly what I would expect.

Monday, November 9, 2015 8:44 PM
  • Based on what mentioned in  this link :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766514(WS.10).aspx

if you use KMS you can activate windows as many times as needed even though the rearm equals 0 and that is what I have.

I have no problem activating windows or syspreping it.

As for the issue I was having, it turned out to be related to performance issue on my MDT Server NIC card.

the problem is now fixed when I changed the NIC card type from E1000 to VMExNet3 on my MDT server.

Thank you for all your inputs.

Friday, November 13, 2015 8:21 PM