none
Blue Screens RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to deploy Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with MDT. Some of my areas have abhorrent bandwidth, so imaging over the network is not practical. I created a USB boot key with a complete MDT setup on it. Deploying my image from that key doesn't complete. On the first reboot, the machine blue screens amazingly quickly (I can't see what it says). I'm 99.9% sure it is a driver that is causing the problem, but I don't know which one. I booted the stricken PC with a Linux disk and tried to look for a Minidump file, but there wasn't any. This exact same image works fine on many models when I deploy it regularly over the network with MDT. It is just not working from the USB key. I created a separate deployment share to create the USB key's selection profile. I copied the drivers from the exact same place, and disabled all of the ones that were disabled in the production share, but that didn't seem to work. How can I determine what is causing the blue screens?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:37 PM

All replies

• Look for the dump when booted with WinPE.  Probably D: and \Windows\Memory.dmp

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:05 PM
  • How do you do that? The computer is trying to boot into Windows. The PE part of the task has completed. Thanks

Jason

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:27 PM
  • Boot with WinPE Media.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:59 PM
  • Boot, then do what? There are no Minidump files on the HDD. I booted with a Linux disk to look for that earlier and there was nothing.

Jason

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:02 PM
  • If there is a blue screen there should be a dump:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824819.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:41 PM
  • How do you access some of those locations? For example: $windows.~bt\Sources\Panther

Where is that exactly? It would have to be on the disk that was just imaged. Anywhere else it could be?

Jason

Friday, June 12, 2015 12:13 AM
  • What I was trying to get at is you can access the machine booted into something else.  If windows is crashing and there is no minidump/s then there is the very strong possibility of \Windows\Memory.dmp existing.  I don't know about your Linux boot disk.  If there is a bluescreen crash it would be highly unlikely for there to be no dump.

That being said... Make? Model? Are you using a USB3 port (if so and a USB2 port is available try that)?

Saturday, June 13, 2015 12:22 AM
  • I tried running the task sequence from the deployment share, not from USB, and everything worked fine. There were no driver errors and all of the task sequences completed successfully. I updated the selection media and tried to run the task sequence from the USB-booted MDT install. There were no blue screens this time, but after the reboot, while Windows was configuring settings, there was a black screen with only the mouse pointer. The process hung here for a long time with no change. I rebooted the computer and got back to the same black screen with a mouse pointer. Any thoughts as to why that is happening?

Thanks

Jason

Monday, June 15, 2015 1:57 PM
  • Have you done any cleanboot troubleshooting?

Are you installing a custom wim?

What happens if you don't inject any drivers for this make model?

What is the make and model?

Monday, June 15, 2015 10:40 PM
  • The issue is with a Lenovo M93P Thinkcentre. Booting the USB key with MDT to the UEFI part, and not the Legacy BIOS part works. I am not exactly sure why, but I think imaging over UEFI has changed something. Now, when I boot this machine the x86 LiteTouchPE boot volume on the PXE server doesn't show up. 

Jason

Thursday, June 18, 2015 6:47 PM
  • You can't boot x86 on an x64 UEFI machine.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:38 PM