vista ultimate constant reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I need some help! I built my system running Vista Ultimate 64 with Abit IX38 Quad GT mb, QX6700, 8GB of DDR2 1066 memory, 4 500GB SATA hd, 2 9600GT 1GB vc. At first the system ran ok, then I got a... video driver stopped responding error then memory dump crashes started to happen. I thought it was because of the video cards being SLI and the mb is crossfire type that triggered the problems. I bought a new Asus P5N-T Deluxe mb and replaced the Abit mb. After booting up with the new Asus mb, it worked for a short time and then now it won't boot up at all after I got the latest windows updates last week! It is now in constant reboot mode! Can't go into normal boot, safe mode with networking or safe mode at all. I tried to use the DVD to repair it, ended with a message of...window is fixed and should be able to boot message. But when it boot up, it will go only as far as the Vista window with the horizontal scrolling bar then to an abrupt stop then blue screen which is so fast and I can't read the error messages. I tried for over a week using various methods to get in to backup my information and failed. Last weekend, out of desparation, I installed Vista on one of the backup drive and everything was fine until I got the latest update and now it TOO is doing the constant reboot thing! I do not want to reinstall Vista onto the original drive which will wipe out all the information I have on it now. Anyone has any idea as how to get the drive to boot so I can back up my information prior to reformat and reinstall Vista?
    Just for kick, I tested the Abit mb on my wife computer with the exact same set up except only one 1GB video card and it's working fine with only 1 crash after installation of the latest deadly windows update. I had to use her DVD to repair it then it is still working after a week! I guess it was Windows fault all along! Thank you!

Stan
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:51 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Stan, I fully understand the inconvenience you have encountered. For the current issue, I suggest you connect the hard drive to another computer to backup the data. Meanwhile, could you let me know the name of the update? Is it a video card related driver update?

If you would like to troubleshoot BSOD crash/reboot issues, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 2:35 AM
  • Hi,
    See this article from MDSN which point to 0X0000007B stop error.

There is a good source on windwos stop mesasges here: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
    "I use VC++ 8.0"
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:48 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Stan, I fully understand the inconvenience you have encountered. For the current issue, I suggest you connect the hard drive to another computer to backup the data. Meanwhile, could you let me know the name of the update? Is it a video card related driver update?

If you would like to troubleshoot BSOD crash/reboot issues, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 2:35 AM
  • I suggest goto "system properties"->"advanced"->"startup and recovery". Then Uncheck "automatically restart". Now if it crashes you will be able to see some details (for example which file caused this BSOD or if there is any internal vista error messages).

"I use VC++ 8.0"
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 3:52 PM
  • I did that and was able to get this error message. Can anyone interpret this? *** stop: 0X0000007B (0XFFFFFA60005AF9D0, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000) Thank you! Happy holidays!

Stan
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 10:57 PM
  • Doesn't it mention a file name right above that memory address?

What I understand from your first post, you just change the motherboard and not the OS. I mean you change a hardware and want existing windows to boot. Am I right?

"I use VC++ 8.0"
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:11 AM
  • Not that I can remember. I think all it said was hardware problem. But that shouldn't be the cause as I was using the new motherboard fine until the IE 7 must have security patch was downloaded and installed. The next morning the computer is dead when I went to use it. Vista booted up ok after the MB change, it was able to see the SATA drives, network and ETC. Everything was fine until after the scheduled Wednesday updates.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:46 PM
  • As far as I know, if someone change a hardware (motherboard or graphic card), then current windows may not boot up properly. It will constantly reboot (before appearance of  windows logo) or stuck at blue screen. You can search and find out that many people have this problem after changing hardware. It is a known issue with HAL.

Have you tried installing a fresh copy of windows?

"I use VC++ 8.0"
    Monday, December 29, 2008 10:30 AM
  • Hi,
    See this article from MDSN which point to 0X0000007B stop error.

There is a good source on windwos stop mesasges here: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
    "I use VC++ 8.0"
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:48 AM
  • Gents:

Thank you for the replies! I gave up trying to revive my original C drive, instead I installed Vista Ultimate onto another drive and just got done doing that after spending 5 days having to go back and forth installing then restoring to previous points to install all the critical updates. System seems to be stable now. I was able to retrieve all my documents, favorites and bookmarks. I wasn't able to locate Outlook in the Microsoft Office folder or under C:\user\...\appdata either. Can anyone tell me where can I retrieve all the folders from my Outlook 2007 and make the new copy of Outlook see the PST file? I tried to use"Open with" command to open one of the old PST file I had backed up and Outlook can't open it. Do I have to find the PST file from the copy in my old drive and replace the PST file in the new drive? Thank you!

Stan
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:26 PM
  • I think you have to *"import"*  the PST file? See Q287070: How to manage .pst files
    "I use VC++ 8.0"
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:20 AM
  • Gents, thank you! I was able to import all my information from my old Outlook to new one. The system is still unstable as it will shut itself down which I will have to contact Microsoft for a fix. Started with video driver not responding but I already reinstalled the latest driver for 9600 1GB downloaded from Nvidia site more than 10 times. Now it's just shutting down after idling for a while and boot back up when I touch the keyboard with unexpected system shutdown message. Pain in the ____! Should have stayed with my XP64. Thanks anyway!

Stan
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:19 AM