none
IE 11 Does not load pages and "Stops Responding" After 11/26/2013 Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. IE 11. (Doesn't matter if I try to open 32 or 64 bit IE)

I keep Automatic Updates on and they install as soon as they are available.

Everything on my PC was running fine 11/25/13.

I came to it 11/26/13 after Windows Updates ran and now whenever I open any webpages, it does not load the web page 100%, no hyperlinks can be clicked on and once you attempt to click on anything. I get the "IE 11 has stopped responding" bubble.

It also seemed to affect Firefox which does not completely load pages either.

Any shove in the correct way to help solve this would be helpful.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since this occurred recently, so try system restore first.

Start>type System Restore in the search box>click System Restore>Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

If the methods all not work, please keep trying the methods in the following link.

What to do when Internet Explorer stops working

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11-win-7

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 29, 2013 3:11 AM
  • I have been experiencing similar problems with the IE 11 update. I have done System Restore to my previous version of IE and also changed settings to "Microsoft windows update' to Download Updates but let me choose whether to install them.  Somehow Windows still does the upgrade without my permission.  Very annoying!!  IE11 has done hang ups and freezes the web window.  It opens blank windows and does not link to another web page.  Not sure if there is a program bug or it just corrupts some of my settings in the upgrade.  I don't need a program that does this for me!!
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:01 AM
  • I also have the same problem.  On Win 7 64 bit.  IE 11 simply doesn't work.  When you start it, you get into an infinite loop of "Internet Explorer has stopped working" and it tries to restart the program, only to run into the same problem again.  I've backed up to an earlier restore point twice and let it download again.  Each time, after update to IE 11, the computer is hosed.

Seeing many other complaints about the same thing all over the Net.  Does MS have any answers?

Friday, December 13, 2013 10:41 PM
  • Same thing here, infinite loop of "Internet Explorer has stopped working", and must use task manager to shut it down. To make things worse, skype also crashes, as it needs IE to run.

Tried uninstalling, back to IE10, re-install IE11, nothing works. Typical MS screw-up.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:44 PM
  • "Internet Explorer has stopped working"

Try diagnosing the symptom?  "Stopped working" may be a euphemism for "has crashed" so you may be getting clues in the Event log on that tack.  If it is crashing and looping, e.g. crashing more than twice on the same exception, that could be a sign of a bug in the error handling.  In that case try disabling Automatic Crash Recovery (in Options, Advanced tab).  

Alternatively, I am getting the impression that it is also being used for simply indicating a temporary performance issue, in which case you may only need to wait for that to resolve.  E.g. put that Tab into the background and go do something else.  If it happens repeatedly it could be a compatibility issue with the site.  Then you could try using a different Emulation, e.g. either via User-Agent string or Document mode change.  Also, with IE10 and IE11 you could use the Developer Tools, Network Capture tool to get more clues about how your problem symptom occurs.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, December 22, 2013 4:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Robert -

Anyone who has gathered over 13,000 points is certainly to be respected as being super smart and uber helpful.  However, your response is inadequate on two counts.

First, "stopped working" is not an inexact phrase, nor is it a euphemism trotted out by a newbie who hasn't the skill to describe the problem accurately. "stopped working" is an exact part of the error message issued by Windows.  Of course it would help if Windows would issue error messages that are more useful, but that is a different issue. For the purposes of this discussion, "stopped working" as part of the exact error message is a useful piece of information.

Second, despite your excellent suggestions for hunting down the problem, I'm guessing that few people here have the time or inclination to be beta testers for Microsoft.  Even if the exact cause is found, it is not likely that anyone here will be able to fix the problem.  There are literally hundreds of people complaining about this problem in multiple forums.  If you know your consumer behavior metrics, then you know that means tens of thousands are affected.  This is systemic, not a random problem on a few errant machines.  Microsoft needs to know that they have a major problem on their hands and they need to fix it.  I saw this problem starting with IE 10.  Is it any wonder that in that time, IE usage has fallen greatly while Chrome has become the dominant browser?  (The only reason I am bothering to write instead of just shifting to Chrome is that Chrome also has its bugs, one of which affects a web app I use several times a week, so I need a functioning version of IE.)

So thanks Robert for all your help in the past, but this response isn't helpful.

Microsoft, are you listening?  Fix your browser.

Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:13 PM
  • "stopped working" is an exact part of the error message issued by Windows.

Read what I wrote.  It used to at least imply that there was a crash.  Now, as I said, I don't think it even provides that much clarity.  So anyone who is interested in understanding their symptom needs to do further diagnosis.

Even if the exact cause is found, it is not likely that anyone here will be able to fix the problem.

No suggestion that they will.  Just that they might understand their symptom better.  And fortunately, as consequence, have a much greater chance of being able to devise a useful workaround.  SOP since forever--not being a "beta tester"--just being an interested, intelligent user.  A better analogy would be having and using some basic knowledge and skills at home or automotive maintenance instead of always relying on someone you need to hire to do such things.  Your choice.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by AshwinBatiri Monday, April 7, 2014 1:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by AshwinBatiri Monday, April 7, 2014 1:47 AM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 7:52 PM
    Answerer
  • I have IE 11 on Windows 7 Professional..

Opened IE then F12, just navigating developer tools.. I think when I hit Gear control(not sure nut surly one of the developer control).. it hangs... then stopped working

any help will be great...

-Veera.

VK

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:25 PM
  • I have IE 11 on Windows 7 Professional..

Opened IE then F12, just navigating developer tools.

.. it hangs... then stopped working

Do you see the DT?  If it is pinned try unpinning it--opening it in its own window so the web app is not fighting a change in frame size.  Press Ctrl-p in DT.  You can do that from any web page.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:01 PM
    Answerer
  • I have the same issue.

Click url in IE11 page not found

Click it again Finds page

No problem with Chrome, Firefox and Safari

But no one reads this stuff from Micro pop anyway!!

David@rathbone.com

Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:12 PM
  • I have the same issue.

Click url in IE11 page not found

Click it again Finds page

Not the same symptom.  Typically just a timing problem with DNS.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by AshwinBatiri Monday, April 7, 2014 1:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by AshwinBatiri Monday, April 7, 2014 1:47 AM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Robert,

This has helped me to fix my issues with IE not working.

regards,
    Ashwin

Monday, April 7, 2014 1:35 AM