Event ID: 36887, Source: Schannel, Windows Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have been getting this event ID: 36887 to disappear in the EventViewer Log however it's been there continuously.

Event ID: 36887
    Source: Schannel
    Fatal Alert: 70
    Windows Server 2008 R2. 

I did updated the TLS to 1.2 as advised: 
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-protocols-in-wi

After the update, the event ID still occurs, someone help?

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Fatal Alert 70 means “The protocol version the client attempted to negotiate is recognized, but not supported. For example, old protocol versions might be avoided for security reasons. This message is always fatal.”

As far as I know, there have been many occasions where a event corresponding to SChannel is logged in the System event logs which indicates a problem with the SSL/TLS handshake and many a times depicts a number. And it can be relate to 3rd party software, browser, add-ins and etc. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 3:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Fatal Alert 70 means “The protocol version the client attempted to negotiate is recognized, but not supported. For example, old protocol versions might be avoided for security reasons. This message is always fatal.”

As far as I know, there have been many occasions where a event corresponding to SChannel is logged in the System event logs which indicates a problem with the SSL/TLS handshake and many a times depicts a number. And it can be relate to 3rd party software, browser, add-ins and etc. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

Friday, February 15, 2019 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, February 22, 2019 7:29 AM