vista 64-bit os is trashed and I don't have a startup disk RRS feed

• Question

• Most solutions start with the recovery disk, which I don't have; or require access to the DOS prompt, BIOS settings, or drive partition, NONE OF WHICH I CAN GET TO FROM MY CURRENT SITUATION. 
    My sister loaded IOLO SYSTEM MECHANIC PRO). She was trusting that the program would screen for compatibility and halt the installation if it was not compatible with 64-bit, but it didn't, so now my operating system is trashed. The boot manager gives me an error 0xc000000e "Selected file missing or corrupt" (windows\system32\winload.exe).  I used Mom's old windows ME desktop to download "Windows Vista x64 Recovery Disc.ISO" using Torrent.  Her CD-rom drive is not writable, so I had to put it on a flash drive.  However, my 64-bit system apparently doesn't recognize the flash drive OR the ISO file (not sure which is the problem) and keeps looking for the win-32 boot instructions.  Maybe I didn't burn the disk (thumb in this case) properly.  I've been on this continuously for the past 48 hours but neither HP, Microsoft, nor my friendly local repair person seems to understand the problem.  Please help me!!!! (Bearing in mind that I am technogically challenged - a complete moron, actually - and you'll have to detail every step and how to do it or I'll screw it up).  Thanks in advance, people!!!!   System info follows:

HP DV7 NOTEBOOK
    PRODUCT # NB252UA#ABA
    SYSTEM BOARD 30F4
    PROCESSOR INTEL CORE2 DUO P8600 @ 2.4GHZ, SPEED 2400MHZ
    BIOS VERSION F.2A
    SN CND9031TYX
    UID # 63B1087D-DC32-11DD-9B56-00235A21DADD
    VISTA 64-BIT
    PRODUCT CONFIG 001110002140E100000

• Edited by sndyjo Monday, August 24, 2009 6:29 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2009 3:57 PM

All replies

• Most HP and Compaq desktop PCs that ship with Windows Vista do not come with recovery discs. Instead, they use a partition on the hard drive. Using a hard drive partition provides a convenient, more stable recovery solution. To access a hard drive recovery, turn on the computer and repeatedly press F10 (XP) or F11 (Vista) until a Recovery window opens.

More info: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c00814731/en_us/bph07143/loc:1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:59 PM
  • THERE AIN'T NO STINKIN RECOVERY WINDOW - NO MATTER WHAT FUNCTION BUTTON I USE.
    The only option I have is to specify the boot drive sequence and/or disable/enable each of them.
    I tried using an XP boot cd, and the system won't even read it.  I'm so frustrated, I'm ready to
    wipe the whole thing completely - but then what?  I still don't have a boot disk for vista 64-bit.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Tou need to press the F Lock key quickly, then press the F11 key in order to access the HP recovery partition.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, August 24, 2009 7:38 PM
  • I have the same problem with my sons computer. Every time i hit system restore (f11) it beeps at me. The computer was running befor the install and now nothing. My son is leaving for college and his computer is bunk. How can i replace this file without going broke. Either iolo or microsoft should pony up a resolution for this since it is there products. Please help me!!!!!!!!
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 8:24 AM