Report Viewer issues with Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• Our ASP.NET Web Application uses the Report Viewer 2008 print control.  As folks upgraded to Windows 7 we quickly learned that Internet Explorer 9 64-bit would not allow the ActiveX control to work properly.  Our solution, which was fine, was to have folks run the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer.

Obviously now most new computers are coming with Windows 8 (64-bit) and Internet Explorer 10.  Any of our users that are on 64-bit Windows 8 cannot print at all.

I tried upgrading to the Report Viewer 2010 control hoping that this would fix it, and have not had any success.  We seems to be able to get by in 32-bit Windows 8 by un-checking protected mode in Internet Explorer.

I'm hoping to find out which version, if any, is officially supported with this configuration x64 Windows 8 with IE 10?  

Here's our SQL Server 2008 version information:

10.0.2531.0 SP1 Enterprise Edition (64-bit)

Any help would be great!

• Edited by Don Kitchen Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:35 PM added SQL server version information
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:26 PM

Answers

• We were working with Microsoft support today on a very similar issue, and came up with what seems to be a reliable solution to the problem:

We needed to:

1. install the Report Viewer 2010 SP1 on our web server,
    2. update our web.config to use the new viewer,
    3. add our website to the "trusted sites" list under IE's Security tab on each client, and
    4. visit the site while being an admin user so we could update/install the Active-X viewer.

After that, we could print without a crash on both IE10 (Windows 8 64-bit) and IE9.

• Proposed as answer by Bryan Aho Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:50 PM
    • Edited by Bryan Aho Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Yin Monday, February 25, 2013 12:57 AM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Don,

I have tested the issue in different environment. If the Web Application is developed in Visual Studio 2008 and the target Framework is set to .NET Framework 3.5, the RS Client Print ActiveX control loaded by the ReportViewer control doesn’t work with 64-Bit Internet Explorer. However, if we develop the Web Application in Visual Studio 2010, no matter the target Framework is .NET Framework 3.5 or .NET Framework 4.0, the Client Print control can work well both 32-Bit IE and 64-Bit IE in both Windows 7 and Windows 8 operating system. 

I note that you have upgraded from ReportViewer 2008 to ReportViewer 2010 but the issue persists. I am unable to test the issue with Report Viewer 2010 within Visual Studio 2008 at this moment. You can refer to the following blog to make sure the ReportViewer 2010 is used in the Visual Studio 2008:
    How do I use ReportViewer 2010 in Visual Studio 2008 project?

Besides, I suggest that you create a Web Application in Visual Studio 2010 and check the result.

Hope this helps. 

Regards,

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:45 AM
  • Mike,

Yes, our Web Application was build with VisulStudio.NET 2008.  To upgrade the report viewer control in VS.NET 2008 to the 2010 version, I did the following:

1. Installed the Report Viewer Redistributible 2010 on my local machine
    2. Replaced the reference in my 2008 ASP.NET project to point to the 2010 version, vs. the 2008 version
    3. Modified the web.config to change the reference number from 9.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.0 for the report viewer
    4. Modified the report viewer control reference on my ASPX page from 9.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.0

In addition to that, I installed the Report Viewer Redistributible 2010 on the web server.  After all of that, I still was having errors using the standard (64-bit) Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8.

After some additional searching and testing, I found that if I did the following on Windows 8 64-bit I could get it working:

1. Launch the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer from C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    2. Verify that Enhanced Protection Mode in the advanced settings was disabled (un-checked)

Once I did that, the report viewer (both version 2008 and 2010 - each from different servers) would install and actually work.  I did see some random instances where Internet Explorer would crash after printing or cancelling out from the printer dialog.  But, in general, manually firing off the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 10 seems to get me there.

So what I gather from all my testing is that for my situation, the version of the report viewer control has no effect on if it works or not for 64-bit.  No matter which version, I could not get anything working with 64-bit.  Like we had to do in Windows 7, the report viewer only seems to work in 32-bit versions of Internet Explorer on Windows 8.

What's not so cut and dry on Windows 8 is that there are no distinct (visually at least) 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer.  I *believe* that by launching iexplorer the way I am from the x86 directory that I am forcing it into 32-bit mode, but who knows for sure.

I suppose I will spend some time to create a very basic test project in 2010 that I can use to do testing of pure 64-bit compatibility, I just need to find some extra time to do so.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:27 PM
  • It appears that even with my work-around of launching the 32-bit version of IE on Windows 8 64-bit, I still experience random crashes of IE either during or after printing.  I'm back at the point where I cannot get any consistent results of the print control printing in IE.

I also setup a sample website with the 2010 report viewer control from Visual Studio 2010.  Even that produces crashes for my Windows 8 64-bit clients.

I'm stuck!

Friday, January 11, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Hi. I have the same problem:

Client with Windows 8 32bit IE10 and ReportViewer 2010. I have random crashes of IE during or after printing.

EDIT: Website developed with VS2010

I have the dmp file if you need it.

Tnx!

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:46 PM
  • We were working with Microsoft support today on a very similar issue, and came up with what seems to be a reliable solution to the problem:

We needed to:

1. install the Report Viewer 2010 SP1 on our web server,
    2. update our web.config to use the new viewer,
    3. add our website to the "trusted sites" list under IE's Security tab on each client, and
    4. visit the site while being an admin user so we could update/install the Active-X viewer.

After that, we could print without a crash on both IE10 (Windows 8 64-bit) and IE9.

• Proposed as answer by Bryan Aho Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:50 PM
    • Edited by Bryan Aho Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Yin Monday, February 25, 2013 12:57 AM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:37 PM
  • I love you...

This works!!!

Thanks!!!!

EDIT: Only one comment. In order to grant updating/installing ActiveX viewer i had to enable/disable some ActiveX options in security options of Trusted Sites.
    Friday, February 22, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Website was developed under VS2010 including RV2010 SP1 and works well on all IE and PC.

Win8 client and now a new WIN7 PC request ActiveX

Tried all the above on client side

Using the WIn 7 pc as an example

IE 10.0.9200,16660

Update version 10.0.8

User is an Administrator.

Only prompted once for Active x and cancelled.

No longer prompted or ActiveX.

When I press Print button IE simply closes with "Error has occurred" and restarts.

Do I need to install RV2010 SP1 on client PCs?? Not really practical but could be done

I saw a reference to installing RSClientPrint ??

Can I download the ActiveX component itself (does not appear in Add-Ins)

Ian Fry Fry Systems Pty Ltd Adelaide, Australia

Friday, August 16, 2013 7:47 AM