Remove Password from .pst RRS feed

• Question

• How can we removed password from .pst

User had saved password in Credentials Manager however during troubleshooting an issue team removed all saved passwords.

Now user is unable to access emails in .pst..

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 4:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by Andy DavidMVP Wednesday, June 19, 2019 6:34 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 6:19 PM
  • Hello ViShaa_R,

This forum(Outlook for Developers) is for development issues related to Outlook Object Model and your problem is more related to Outlook product feature, so I would move this thread into Outlook IT Pro Discussions.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:57 AM
  • Hi ViShaal,

As is mentioned in the "Caution" section in this official article, I am afraid there is no way to retrieve the password if you set a password on your Outlook Data File (.pst) and forget the password :( 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:07 AM
  • That is a bit pessimistic. Section 4.2 of "[MS-PST]: Outlook Personal Folders (.pst) File Format" says:

4.2  Strength of PST Password
    The PST Password, which is stored as a property value in the message store, is a superficial
    mechanism that requires the client implementation to enforce the stored password. Because the
    password itself is not used as a key to the encoding and decoding cipher algorithms, it does not
    provide any security benefit to preventing the PST data to be read by unauthorized parties.
    Moreover, the password is stored as a CRC-32 hash of the original password string, which is prone to
    collisions and is relatively weak against a brute-force approach.

• One does not need to know the password (or even care that a password has been set) if the "client implementation" (i.e. any PST reader) does not enforce the password.
    • A password that can be entered from a keyboard can be relatively easily brute-forced. One may never know whether the brute-forced password matches the "original" password, but since the password is not needed anyway, brute-forcing one is just a "for fun" exercise.
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:41 PM
  • I lost password of my outlook data file, after I install new outlook, it request the old password. Please how can I fix this?

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 4:24 PM