Scheduled install time: Automatic RRS feed

• Question

• There seems to be a new option within the GPO "Configure Automatic Updates". Under “Scheduled install time” you can now select the option “Automatic”.
    My Question: According to which rules does a client install updates when it gets the option Scheduled install time: Automatic?

Thanks

Friday, August 16, 2019 11:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

We can see an explanation of this option:

• When "Automatic" is selected as the scheduled install time, Windows will automatically check, download, and install updates. The device will reboot as per Windows default settings unless configured by group policy. (Applies to Windows 10, version 1809 and higher)

This option is about the time option to perform an automatic update, then I think if you choose automatic, the installation time may depend on the following conditions:

1. Updated detection frequency. Configure through Group Policy.
    2. Active hours configuration, the client computer can adjust itself.
    3. The performance of the client computer.

Since there is currently no specific article explaining this feature, provide some of my views for your reference.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ArBar Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:25 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:07 AM

All replies

• You can choose any prefer options from below when you configure the Group policies,

- 2 - Notify for download and notify for install
    When Windows Update finds updates that apply to the computer, users will be notified that updates are ready for download. Users can then run Windows Update to download and install any available updates.

- 3 - Auto download and notify for install (default setting)
    Windows Update finds applicable updates and downloads them in the background; the user is not notified or interrupted during the process. When the downloads are complete, users are notified that there are updates ready to install. Users can then run Windows Update to install the downloaded updates.

- 4 - Auto download and schedule the install
    You can specify the schedule by using the options in this Group Policy setting. If no schedule is specified, the default schedule for all installations will be every day at 3:00 A.M. If any updates require a restart to complete the installation, Windows will restart the computer automatically. (if a user is signed in to the computer when Windows is ready to restart, the user will be notified and given the option to delay the restart.) Note: starting Windows 8, you can set updates to install during automatic maintenance instead of using a specific schedule tied to Windows Update. Automatic maintenance will install updates when the computer is not in use, and avoid installing updates when the computer is running on battery power. If automatic maintenance is unable to install updates within days, Windows Update will install updates right away. Users will then be notified about a pending restart. A pending restart will only take place if there is no potential for accidental data loss. You can specify schedule options in the GPME Maintenance Scheduler settings, which are located in the path, PolicyName > computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows components > Maintenance Scheduler > Automatic Maintenance Activation Boundary. See the section of this reference titled: Maintenance Scheduler settings, for setting details. 

5 - Allow local admin to choose setting
    - Specifies whether local administrators are allowed to use the Automatic Updates control panel to select a configuration option of their choice for example, whether local administrators can choose a scheduled installation time.
    Local administrators will not be allowed to disable the configuration for Automatic Updates.

Friday, August 16, 2019 2:01 PM
  • Hello 
    I'm afraid that's not an answer to my question. I know the reference, but it is from the year 2017 and applies to Windows Server (Semi-Annual Channel), Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012. My question refers to clients running Windows 10.

According to which rules does a client install updates when it gets the option Scheduled install time: Automatic?

Friday, August 16, 2019 2:27 PM
  • Hi,

We can see an explanation of this option:

• When "Automatic" is selected as the scheduled install time, Windows will automatically check, download, and install updates. The device will reboot as per Windows default settings unless configured by group policy. (Applies to Windows 10, version 1809 and higher)

This option is about the time option to perform an automatic update, then I think if you choose automatic, the installation time may depend on the following conditions:

1. Updated detection frequency. Configure through Group Policy.
    2. Active hours configuration, the client computer can adjust itself.
    3. The performance of the client computer.

Since there is currently no specific article explaining this feature, provide some of my views for your reference.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ArBar Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:25 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:07 AM