none
Weird issue, applications not installing sometimes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I work for a school district and have been working on creating a new image with MDT. I made a thick image with only a few applications needed to choose from "on the fly" depending on the room. Currently the "on the fly" programs I am using are : Adobe CC, Netsupport, and SMART notebook. I have my deployment finalized and everything seems to be working except I have a strange issue. I am using USB drives to deploy since we currently do not have SCCM. When imaging a lab of 30 PC's, There will be a certain amount of PC's that will just not install one or more applications. For instance on one lab I will have 26 that install fine, 3 that do not install Adobe CC, and 1 that does not install Adobe CC/SMART Notebook. So i take note of the 4 USB drives that failed, and then image the next lab. Those 4 failed drives will install fine, but there will be a couple others that do the same thing. I can re-do the MDT process on the same computer with the same drive and everything will install fine. I've wiped all the drives and started fresh but I still get a couple that do not install fully. I checked out one of the failed PC's BDD.log and Adobe will give me a 1603 error. As far as I can tell this problem is completely random and is really frustrating me. Please let me know if you need any more information, and thanks for the help!

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:18 AM

All replies

• So you're doing a media based deployment and not using the network? At what stage during the task sequence are these apps being installed? In the past I've had some apps not install because when the Absolute Manage client was installed it would then try to push some apps and cause MSiexec to return a 1618 error because another application was trying to install. In that case I just had to rearrange the installation order in my task sequence. In another case I simply needed to add a wait time in my script to give a particular app a little extra time to finish things up before moving on.

WScript.Sleep(20000)

Since you're deploying Creative Cloud I'll give you my script to deploy it, which includes logging and it'll create its own log file. It makes it easier than digging through a long BDD.log

<job id="Install-ACCCDWx64">
    <script language="VBScript" src="..\..\scripts\ZTIUtility.vbs"/>
    <script language="VBScript"> 

'//----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '// Purpose: Used to install Adobe Creative Cloud Design & Web apps x64
    '// Usage: cscript Install-ACCCDWx64.wsf [/debug:true]
    '// Version: 1.0 - November 4, 2014 - Daniel Vega
    '//
    '// This script is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, confers no rights and 
    '// is not supported by the author. 
    '//

'// Global constant and variable declarations

Option Explicit 
    Dim iRetVal 

'// End declarations

'// Main routine

On Error Resume Next
    iRetVal = ZTIProcess
    ProcessResults iRetVal
    On Error Goto 0 

'//---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '//
    '// Function: ZTIProcess()
    '//
    '// Input: None
    '// 
    '// Return: Success - 0
    '// Failure - non-zero
    '//
    '// Purpose: Perform main ZTI processing
    '// 
    '//---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Function ZTIProcess() 

oLogging.CreateEntry "Install-ACCCDWx64: Starting ACCCDWx64 installation", LogTypeInfo	

' Disable Zone Checks
    	oEnv("SEE_MASK_NOZONECHECKS") = 1 

' Install Pre Exception Deployer 
    	iRetVal = oUtility.RunWithHeartbeat("""" & oUtility.ScriptDir & "\Exceptions\ExceptionDeployer.exe""" & " --workflow=install --mode=pre --installLangauge=en_US")

if (iRetVal = 0) or (iRetVal = 3010) then
    		ZTIProcess = Success 
    	Else 
    		ZTIProcess = Failure
    		oLogging.CreateEntry "Install-ACCCDWx64: Error installing CS6DWP Pre-Deploy. Check the log " & oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS\Install-ACCCDWx64-PreDeploy.log", LogTypeWarning
    	End If

' Install Creative Cloud Design and Web
    	iRetVal = oUtility.RunWithHeartbeat("msiexec.exe /i """ & oUtility.ScriptDir & "\Build\ACCC_DesignWeb_64.msi""" & " /qn /norestart /lew """ & oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS\Install-ACCCDWx64-Core-App.log""")

ZTIProcess = Success 
    	Else 
    		ZTIProcess = Failure
    		oLogging.CreateEntry "Install-ACCCDWx64: Error installing ACCCDWx64. Check the log " & oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS\Install-ACCCDWx64-Core-App.log", LogTypeWarning
    	End If

' Install Post Exception Deployer 
    	iRetVal = oUtility.RunWithHeartbeat("""" & oUtility.ScriptDir & "\Exceptions\ExceptionDeployer.exe""" & " --workflow=install --mode=post")

ZTIProcess = Success 
    	Else 
    		ZTIProcess = Failure
    		oLogging.CreateEntry "Install-ACCCDWx64: Error installing CS6DWP Post-Deploy. Check the log " & oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS\Install-ACCCDWx64-PostDeploy.log", LogTypeWarning
    	End If

' Enable Zone Checks
    	oEnv.Remove("SEE_MASK_NOZONECHECKS")

oLogging.CreateEntry "Install-ACCCDWx64: Return code from command = " & iRetVal, LogTypeInfo
    	oLogging.CreateEntry "Install-ACCCDWx64: Finished ACCCDWx64 installation", LogTypeInfo	

End Function 

</script>
    </job>

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:06 PM
  • You should have a look in logs that your msi applcation generated. Perhaps in c:\windows\temp.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:31 PM