none
All files and folders disappeared! Help me, please! RRS feed

• Question

• I don’t know why! When I went to use my USB on my computer yesterday, all files and folders were disappeared strangely. I clearly remembered I had saved some files on this USB drive in the morning. But, nothing seemed to be left. But, in properties, half of the space drive was still used. Did that mean all my files and folders were still there? Is there any way to get them back? 

Friday, August 9, 2013 3:48 AM

Answers

• Have you accidentally hidden them?

Try to show them up again: Start => Run => Type in “control folders” and press “OK” =>Click “View” and hook “Show hidden files and folders”=> Press “OK”

But, if these steps cannot make a sense, your drive may get some problems.

Try to restore the inner saved files back with the help of data recovery software and format it to see whether it is fixable afterwards.

As to data recovery software, you could easily get a plenty of ones on the internet. Simply search some drive data recovery freeware to take chances at first, such as Recuva, Power Data Recovery and iCare Data Recovery free and etc.

Never try to save the important data on only one drive in the future.

• Marked as answer by Frie4da78 Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You're actually in the wrong place for this type of question. This forum is for Data Protection Manager, a Microsoft backup solution. Your best bet is to head over to the forums here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Good luck.

Don't retire TechNet!

Friday, August 9, 2013 3:51 AM
  • Hi,

From your description, I think the following method could help you solve the problem:

1. Change the file visibility to see hidden files.
    2. Perform a full system (including the USB drive) scan immediately.
    3. If problem still exists, try following:

Click “start” menu, click ”Run”, type ”cmd”, enter.

Assuming that you USB letter is “h”, then type “h:” enter.

Type ”dir/a” enter, you will find all your files in USB, if there is a file that you don’t know, delete it by typing” del filename”, if the deletion fails, type “attrib filename –h –s -r”,  then perform the deletion.

Type”attrib –S –H /s /d”, enter.

Re-open your USB, everything return to normal?

More information, please refer to the following page:

Attrib

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490868.aspx

Regards,

Yolanda

Monday, August 12, 2013 10:38 AM

Try to show them up again: Start => Run => Type in “control folders” and press “OK” =>Click “View” and hook “Show hidden files and folders”=> Press “OK”

Try to restore the inner saved files back with the help of data recovery software and format it to see whether it is fixable afterwards.

As to data recovery software, you could easily get a plenty of ones on the internet. Simply search some drive data recovery freeware to take chances at first, such as Recuva, Power Data Recovery and iCare Data Recovery free and etc.

• Marked as answer by Frie4da78 Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Most probably, virus program has taken place and you'll need to manually Un-hide them using your command prompt skills. If you don't know how to, follow the steps mentioned at the below link:

http://www.wikihow.com/Open-the-Hidden-Files-in-a-USB-Pen-Drive

Note: Remember not to format USB as it'll permanently erase all your files.

Good Luck though!!

• Edited by OliverGeeky Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:40 AM Imp note
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:39 AM
  • OK! I checked it was not the problem of unintentional hidden files.

But, I finally got back all my needed files back by using some data recovery freeware.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:50 AM

Thank you at first!

I have tried your ways after reading this answer.

But, it seemed not to be the problem of the hidden files. I had followed your unhidden file steps. But, nothing was changed.

So, I straightly tried your mentioned data recovery freeware. That might be the actual problems. I eventually restored all my needed files back by using them.

Thank you for your nice help.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:55 AM
  • A possible solution.

Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder options

Uncheck all "hide" boxes, and check all "show" options

"Hide protected operation system files (recommended)" Unchecking this option worked for me. I had a virus which hid all my files in a protected operation folder. I moved them out and deleted the folder along with any unidentified files. 

• Edited by Yasser S Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:22 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:21 PM
  • You're awesome. Fixed it and now my wife thinks I'm amazing
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:21 PM