none
Why can't Windows 7 share folders with Windows 10 while Windows Fire Wall is on? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not too sure whether this is related to Windows 7 or Windows 10.

I've found Windows 7 has to have its Windows Fire Wall down in order to have its folders shared with Windows 10.

However the other way is not true.

Windows 10 can have Windows Fire Wall up while sharing its folders with Windows 7.

In other words while fire wall is up on both Windows 7 system and Windows 10 system, Windows 7 system can access shared folders on Windows 10 without any problem while in the meantime Windows 10 system cannot access Windows 7 system at all.

Saturday, July 21, 2018 8:22 AM

Answers

• I checked the Fire Wall rules on the Windows 7 system in question today and I found 2 inbound rules as per the screenshot below.  I deleted them and then the access to the Windows 7 started to work okay.  I am not sure if they should be there by default.  I don't remember putting them in.

• Marked as answer by healee Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:36 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi healee, 

I tested on my virual machines with Windows 7 and Windows 10 device. When firewall were configured to enabled on them, they also could access share folder on each other. 

Please check the blocked applications through Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall\Allowed apps to check if you have ticked File and printer sharing.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 23, 2018 9:59 AM
  • I discovered the problem when I went through https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/29d12ac7-64e5-4dd3-8c16-57bd2a43f161/how-to-share-folders-between-windows-10-and-windows-7?forum=win10itpronetworking#668c1917-9112-4d10-be64-817315b1e5ba.

I had actually checked everything following https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/10741/windows-fix-network-connection-issues before I found the firewall was the culprit.

Below is the advanced sharing settings of the Windows 7 Pro system.

• Edited by healee Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:32 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2018 10:59 AM
  • I checked the Fire Wall rules on the Windows 7 system in question today and I found 2 inbound rules as per the screenshot below.  I deleted them and then the access to the Windows 7 started to work okay.  I am not sure if they should be there by default.  I don't remember putting them in.

• Marked as answer by healee Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:36 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:36 AM