Providing Read-Only Access to mailboxes in Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We recently migrated to Exchange 2007 and audit and compliance officers needs to have read access to users' mailboxes. They were able to do this on the previous mail system.

Does anybody knows how to provide read only access to mailboxes via powershell in Exchange 2007?

I tested to open a mailbox where i have reviewer access. I am able to open the mailbox. One thing I observed is when you read new messages, the items are marked read. Also, when you read messages with return-receipt, the receipt is sent to the sender after reading. This is not really applicable for auditors or compliance officer. When checking mailboxes it should be 'read only' and users must not realize that their mailbox is being viewed.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:47 AM

Answers

1. The way you are accessing the emails is normal and expected behaviour.
    2. You dont seperate storage as in a SAN, just another mailbox to hournal the email to.
    3. There isnt really a short term workaround (there is, but it's too messy and im not going to recommend that)., the way the mailboxes are accessed isnt probabaly the best way, the auditors themselcves are not in compliance this way.
    4. I'd suggest you setup the journal feature.

Sukh
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:23 AM

All replies

1. Not sure what mail system you were using before Exch?  Sounds like Notes....
    2. But the way you are accessing the email is expected and the way it functions.
    3. It seems like what you need to do is setup Exch journaling for legal/compliance. - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998649(EXCHG.80).aspx

Sukh
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Hu Sukh

Thanks for the quick response.

1. Yes we are using Notes before Exchange. In notes, they were given Reader access to users database, for them to check the mailbox.
    2. What do you mean?
    3. I have read abt journaling, we are currently looking at it as this require a separate storage. I am more interested in a short term solution.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:03 AM
    1. The way you are accessing the emails is normal and expected behaviour.
    2. You dont seperate storage as in a SAN, just another mailbox to hournal the email to.
    3. There isnt really a short term workaround (there is, but it's too messy and im not going to recommend that)., the way the mailboxes are accessed isnt probabaly the best way, the auditors themselcves are not in compliance this way.
    4. I'd suggest you setup the journal feature.

Sukh
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:23 AM