none
Use Inexpensive JBOD array for Disk storage RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have an ISCSI RAID array that I use for disk-to-disk storage. But I was looking for a less expensive option as I need to expand to accommodate backing up end users computers. I am not going to going to be sending these to tape so it does not need to be high performance.

So I was wondering if I have a JBOD set of disks attached to the server does DPM have any redundancy in how it stores the data or if a disk dies does all the backup data on it die as well. It is server 2012 so could I use storage spaces to provide redundancy?

Thanks,

nick

Friday, January 25, 2013 12:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The only way you could use Windows software raid is if you used JBOD and converted all the disks to Dynamic, then manually make raid volumes for each data source.  Basically you will be using custom volumes.  Make replica / recovery point volumes for each workload, label them something like EX-DB1-Replica and EX-DB1-RecoveryPoint - then when you protect that exchange DB, you select custom volume - then choose the volumes from the drop down.   Custom volume need to be managed manually, so auto-grow will not work for custom volumes.  You also cannot use co-location on custom volumes.  Probably more work than it's worth, and hardware raid is not as expensive as it use to be.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use JBOD without problems, but as noted, if one dies then you will loose backups for the data sources whose backups were on that disk that died.  Since DPM usually places Replica Volume on one disk, and Recovery Point on another, if one disk dies it could effect data sources on more than one other disk, so the cleanup may be messy.

DPM does not support using Windows 2012 storage spaces for the DPM storage pool, sorry.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Does DPM support any Software Based RAID or is the only solution to use a hardware raid so that a single disk failure will not impact the loss of any backup data?

Thanks,

nick

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:38 PM
  • Hi,

The only way you could use Windows software raid is if you used JBOD and converted all the disks to Dynamic, then manually make raid volumes for each data source.  Basically you will be using custom volumes.  Make replica / recovery point volumes for each workload, label them something like EX-DB1-Replica and EX-DB1-RecoveryPoint - then when you protect that exchange DB, you select custom volume - then choose the volumes from the drop down.   Custom volume need to be managed manually, so auto-grow will not work for custom volumes.  You also cannot use co-location on custom volumes.  Probably more work than it's worth, and hardware raid is not as expensive as it use to be.

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:47 PM
  • Thanks for the info. I will stick with hardware raid.

Nick

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:49 PM
  • DPM does not support using Windows 2012 storage spaces for the DPM storage pool, sorry.

Mike,

While this is understood.

A solution where I use 2 Windows 2012 servers; 1 server would expose an iSCSI volume/LUN to the other/DPM server, would work no?

Friday, May 3, 2013 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

<snip>
    A solution where I use 2 Windows 2012 servers; 1 server would expose an iSCSI volume/LUN to the other/DPM server, would work no?
    >snip<

DPM does not support using .VHD disks in the DPM storage pool.  When you make an Iscsi target on Windows 2012 server, it's making a .VHD file.

Friday, May 3, 2013 11:44 PM
  • But since DPM server would only see the iSCSI disk device, how would DPM know that it was a VHD?
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

DPM itself never knows what the back end storage is, but using .vhd is not supported for use in storage pool.

Saturday, May 4, 2013 5:53 PM