Outlook 2010 signature randomly does not apply RRS feed

• Question

• We have completed a site upgrade for a client so they are now running Windows 7, Office 2010 (Exchange 2010 backend) and have come across an issue with a few users.  All users onsite have their sig automatically generated using info in the AD.  It is set to apply to both New and Reply/Forward emails.  The issue that has cropped up in at least two cases I know of is:

Case 1 - client sends new email, signature does not apply, manually trying to apply the signature also does not work.  Replying to email the sig applies and forwarding email the sig applies

Case 2 - client sends new email, sig applies.  They reply to email, sig applies.  If they forward email, the sig again does not apply and is not able to be applied manually.

I've already recreated Outlook profiles, repaired and reinstalled Office 2010 but have had no luck.  All settings for the signature all look fine and when comparing to another client who has no issues, they are the same.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Sophia,

We managed to work out what the issue was.  It wasn't a vbs script issue, nor an AD issue.  It was (like I've been trying to say) an Outlook client issue.

The autogenerated signature was in HTML format, the client however had the format setting under Compose messages of Rich Text, not HTML.  Changing the setting to HTML solved this issue.

[edit] - I should mention that the autogenerated signature riles were all in HTML, no other types were created, hence why it wasn't able to put the signature in new/forwarded emails as there was no Rich Text format files for the client to use.

Its ALWAYS the simple things /o:

Thank you for your help though (o: 

Craig
    • Edited by McDethWivFries Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:59 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:51 AM

All replies

• The simple answer is don't use client side signatures.

Disable it globally using group policy and then use a transport rule or third party tool to apply it at the server as the email passes through Exchange 2010. Then it doesn't matter whether they use Outlook, OWA, a client off domain, move machines, a PDA, iPhone or Blackberry, the signature is applied. I don't think I have used client side signatures on my deployments for four or five years.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Hi McDethWivFries,

If you use disclaimer to set as the signature as Simon mentioned above, then only e-mail messages that are processed on Hub Transport servers will be added the disclaimer and transport rules are applied after the message is sent. And the signature will be attached to the bottom of the message.

If your users use Outlook 2010 most of their time, you can consider configure signature in Outlook. And when you send/reply/forward emails, you can make signature attach to the bottom of your reply not the bottom of the message in transport rule. You can refer to the following steps:

Open Outlook->click ‘New E-mail’->click ‘Signature’->open ‘Signatures and Stationery’ window->find ‘Email Signature’->click New->enter the name->click OK->edit signature in the ‘Edit signature’ window->select this signature in ‘New messages’ and ‘Replies/forwards’ in the right ‘Choose default signature’ pane->click OK

Then, when you new/reply/forward messages next time, signatures will be inserted automatically.

If you encounter any difficulties, please let us know.

Thanks

Sophia Xu
    • Proposed as answer by Sophia Xu Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by McDethWivFries Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Monday, November 28, 2011 1:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by McDethWivFries Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:45 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Thanks Simon & Sohpia,

So from what I can gather so far the solution is to either have the Exchange server handle the sig itself or each client manually handle the sig yes?

With regard to the client handling the sig, can you help explain how that is different to one that has been autogenerated by a script using AD information and stored in the clients roaming profile?

Sorry, just realised I didn't mention that the autogenerated sig is stored in the clients roaming profile.

Cheers

Craig

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Hi Craig,

>With regard to the client handling the sig, can you help explain how that is different to one that has been autogenerated by a script using AD information and stored in the clients roaming profile?

For the signature auto-generated by a script using AD information, you can ask Exchange development forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdevelopment/threads

Based on my experience, the signature auto-generated by a script using AD information needs to write script to call AD information (I don’t know whether it can be realized), and the signature information is from AD and managed by administrator (if it can work). But the signature stored in client can be configured and customized by users, so users can update their signatures at random according to their own requirements.

Thanks

Sophia Xu
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Based on my experience, the signature auto-generated by a script using AD information needs to write script to call AD information (I don’t know whether it can be realized), and the signature information is from AD and managed by administrator (if it can work). But the signature stored in client can be configured and customized by users, so users can update their signatures at random according to their own requirements.

Thanks

Sophia Xu

Hi Sophia,

I've just checked teh script, its a vbs script that pulls the relevant feilds from AD (Full Name, Email, Telephone etc) and appents a corporate logo.  It was done like this as the client wanted a standard email signature across the whole organization.  Unfortunately having the clients handle their own signatures is not an option in this case due to that requirement as they want it centrally managed.

This script does work in the majority of cases, its as I said in my initial post, its just these two instances (that I know of) that are having issues with the signature not applying when all settings on their Outlook client are set for it to apply.  May just have to chalk this up as a hidden 'feature' of some sort.

Thanks

Craig
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:36 AM
  • Hi McDethWivFries,

Sorry to late reply.

For vbs scripts, you will get more if you post this thread to Exchange development forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdevelopment/threads

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Sophia Xu
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Monday, November 28, 2011 1:50 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by McDethWivFries Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:45 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:38 AM
  • Hi Sophia,

We managed to work out what the issue was.  It wasn't a vbs script issue, nor an AD issue.  It was (like I've been trying to say) an Outlook client issue.

The autogenerated signature was in HTML format, the client however had the format setting under Compose messages of Rich Text, not HTML.  Changing the setting to HTML solved this issue.

[edit] - I should mention that the autogenerated signature riles were all in HTML, no other types were created, hence why it wasn't able to put the signature in new/forwarded emails as there was no Rich Text format files for the client to use.

Its ALWAYS the simple things /o:

Thank you for your help though (o: 

Craig
    • Edited by McDethWivFries Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:59 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Thanks for sharing :)

Sophia Xu
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:00 AM