PowerShell Remoting against x64 OS and Microsoft-PowerShell32 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I didn't (quickly) spot this error while I was seaching for it so thought I'd put it here...

I was trying to connect to the 32-bit version of PowerShell on a remote 2008 R2 machine. I'd run "winrm quickconfig" and could create a session but if I tried to add "-ConfigurationName Microsoft.PowerShell32" switch to the end of my "Enter-PSSession -ComputerName <servername>" command I received the error below:

Enter-PSSession : Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message : 
    The WS-Management service cannot process the request. The resource URI
    (http://schemas.microsoft.com/powershell/Microsoft-PowerShell32) was not found in the WS-Management catalog.
    The catalog contains the metadata that describes resources, or logical endpoints.
    For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
    At line:x char:x
    + Enter-PSSession <<<<  -ComputerName <servername> -ConfigurationName Microsoft-PowerShell32
    + CategoryInfo
     : InvalidArgument: (<servername>:String) [Enter-PSSession], PSRemotingTransportException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CreateRemoteRunspaceFailed

Running "Get-PSSessionConfiguration" on the remote machine didn't show Microsoft.PowerShell32 whether I was x86 or x64 PowerShell on the remote machine. Searching for "Microsoft.PowerShell32" lead me to this article: http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2010/03/31/experimenting-with-powershell-v2-remoting.aspx and the command below:

Register-PSSessionConfiguration Microsoft.PowerShell32 -processorarchitecture x86 -force

This command is run as part of "Enable-PSRemoting" but not as part of "winrm quickconfig". Once I'd run "Enable-PSRemoting" I could then use the "-ConfigurationName Microsoft.PowerShell32" switch.

This may not be news to everyone but it was to me so hopefully it helps someone.

Mark.

Friday, August 23, 2013 10:44 AM