none
Event ID 1212 - Cluster network name resource 'Cluster Name' cannot be brought online.

Question

• Hello,

We implemented a Windows Server 2012 hyper-V cluster recently. All was working correctly. However we decommissioned one of our 2003 Domain controller recently. Since then whenever I try to move core cluster resource to another, the following error is display in the event viewer.

Cluster network name resource 'Cluster Name' cannot be brought online. Attempt to locate a writeable domain controller (in domain \\nameofdecomissionedomaincontroller.domainname.local) in order to create or update a computer object associated with the resource failed for the following reason:

The server is not operational.

The error code was '8250'. Ensure that a writeable domain controller is accessible to this node within the configured domain. Also ensure that the DNS server is running in order to resolve the name of the domain controller.

But the core resource is brought online without any issue and the cluster is working correctly.

I did a search nameofdecomissionedomaincontroller.domainname.local  into the registry, the only entry I found is below.

I guess this is where failover clustering is caching this setting and trying to contact the demoted DC every time I try to move a resource. I already tried to restart each cluster node and checked that the DC was decommissioned correctly.

Is it safe to edit the registry with existing DC name? Or any other solution is most welcomed.

Irfan Goolab SALES ENGINEER (Microsoft UC) MCP, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

• Edited by Irfan Goolab Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:26 AM d
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:25 AM

Answers

• I don't how but when I came back yesterday, I tried to move the Core Resource prior to making any changes, surprisingly the error did not appear.

I check the registry key CreatingDC in HKLM, I noticed that it is has now changed to an existing working DC. I guest the cluster took a few day to understand that the previous DC was decommissioned.

Thank you all for your responses.

Regards,

Irfan

• Marked as answer by Irfan Goolab Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:39 AM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:39 AM

All replies

• in failover cluster manager did you attempt to repair the cluster, select cluster, bottom windows there is cluster name, right click, more options and repair. Could it be that when you decomissioned old dc you didn't move the AD roles to another DC? if so you can sieze the roles on another writable DC. I would start by checking to see what DC it thinks holds the roles, if it's the one that is gone then look for articles on siezing the roles or retart old dc and tranfer domain roles.
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Thank you for the response. Please note that the decommissioned DC did not hold any FSMO roles.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:15 PM
  • just try set-l on the cluster node and then see which DC it is currently pointing to.

Once you can confirm that it is not pointing to the old DC, just try to repair the CNO once again and se if it helps, 

This is my blanket recommendation for cluster 2012: please install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2784261 asap!

thanks,

Mayank Sharma Support Engineer at Microsoft working in Enterprise Platform Support.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:00 PM
  • How are things going? Please let us know if there is any progress.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:14 AM
  • I don't how but when I came back yesterday, I tried to move the Core Resource prior to making any changes, surprisingly the error did not appear.

I check the registry key CreatingDC in HKLM, I noticed that it is has now changed to an existing working DC. I guest the cluster took a few day to understand that the previous DC was decommissioned.

Thank you all for your responses.

Regards,

Irfan

• Marked as answer by Irfan Goolab Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:39 AM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:39 AM
  • Thanks for this answer. I am new to virtualisation and have been struggling with a broken Replica Broker role since yesterday. Your answer fixed my problem.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:51 PM
  • I'm in exactly the same problem. Haven't applied any of the hot fixes suggested... Will probably be trying that today. I tried to modify the reg key, but as soon as you reboot the node this goes back to the previous value. Trying to modify using get-clusterresource "cluster Name" | set-clusterresource creatingdc also failed with an error message saying this is a read-only parameter. One thing that is slightly different in my scenario, is that the domain controller in question only had the AD DS component removed, it was still on the network to serve DNS requested... I have a feeling that because this server was still reachable, but not servicing authentication requests, failover cluster thinks it's still a domain controller...
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Leave it for a few days. it will detect another Domain Controller.

Mine was resolved after a few days (more than 1 week) by itself.

Regards,

Irfan

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:11 PM
  • I have identical scenario, except that former DC is now a member server and thus still accessible.  it's been 40 days since decommissioning and that registry key still points to old DC.

• Edited by AlexT-VA Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:30 AM gramar
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:29 AM
  • I managed to solve my problem by disjoining my former DC (now just a member server) from Active Directory.  Now that old server is no longer in domain, cluster picked up the change and using new DC.  I verified by checking the registry key.  There also was also an involuntary reboot involved. 

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:09 PM
  • DELETED
    • Edited by tkench Monday, July 14, 2014 3:00 PM DELETED
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:19 PM
  • Changing the reg key on every node server within the cluster fixed this issue for me. I demoted a 2008 domain controller a few days ago and noticed my Hyper V Replica Broker would fail to start. The error I received in the event view noted the name of the hyper v replica broker could not be brought online because an attempt to contact a writeable domain controller in order to update a computer object failed. This was the DC that I demoted. So thank you to the OP for this find. Annoyed with MS they cant write software that can move onto another DC when one is not available.
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:28 PM
  • I had the same issue; came across it when performing an AD cleanup exercise and realized that the password for the computer object had not changed its password in a number of months.  The logs for the cluster showed the same error message that you indicated above.  And the registry key 'CreatingDC' had the entry for a decommissioned DC in our environment.

The issue was that the decommissioned DC was still a domain member and was still in service.  Instead of putting that machine offline and interrupt the service it was still providing, I put a host file entry on both nodes of the cluster to an IP address that did not exist.  So when I failed over to the passive node, as far as the cluster was concerned, the decommissioned DC was offline and it populated the registry key with one of the new DC's in the domain.

So there was no need for me to edit the registry.

• Proposed as answer by gnett Sunday, November 16, 2014 7:06 PM
    Sunday, November 16, 2014 7:01 PM
  • I liked your solution, gnett.  Same thing worked for me.  Thanks.
    Monday, February 29, 2016 3:04 PM