Storage Space with traditional Storage Arrays RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i've a Question. At the Moment we use VMware for Virtualization, but we plan to migrate to Hyper-V with Release of Server 2016. 

We have 3 Hosts cross connected over two 6GB fibre channel fabric to 2 x Storwize v3700, 1 x IBM DS3514, 1 x IBM DS3400. At the moment we have different RAIDs and LUNs on this Storrage Arrays. 

We would like to use Storage Space. But as far as i read i can not use traditional storrage arrays like the IBM Storwize v3700 or DS3512 for Storage Spaces? 

My thought was either to use every disk as a Raid0 and pass it to the 3 Hosts, or make for example Raids 10 on the Storage Arrays, pass them to Storage Spaces in "Simple" Mode because Storrage Arrays delivers security.

What's the best Deployment for this Configuration with a Hyper-V Cluster

Greetings
    Tobias

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:45 PM

Answers

• Storage Spaces is a software RAID technology which requires access to physical disks, so you cannot build a storage space on top of logical units located on SAN. If you already have SAN-based storage solution deployed in your environment, then there is really no need to use storage spaces - just use your remote storage in the same way you do it in VMware cluster. Create LUNs with appropriate size and RAID level, present these LUNs to all nodes of Hyper-V cluster, initialize the LUNs and add them to cluster shared volumes, so that all nodes can access them simultaneously.

Gleb.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:01 AM
  • Windows Server 2012 R2 supports ReFS on cluster shared volumes. However, you cannot use all integrity features of ReFS on volumes hosting VHDs, so there is only limited reliability benefit. There is a number of threads discussing use of ReFS with Hyper-V (example here and here). I believe it is still a common practice to use NTFS for CSV volumes that host vhd-files.

Gleb.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 12:21 PM

All replies

• Storage Spaces is a software RAID technology which requires access to physical disks, so you cannot build a storage space on top of logical units located on SAN. If you already have SAN-based storage solution deployed in your environment, then there is really no need to use storage spaces - just use your remote storage in the same way you do it in VMware cluster. Create LUNs with appropriate size and RAID level, present these LUNs to all nodes of Hyper-V cluster, initialize the LUNs and add them to cluster shared volumes, so that all nodes can access them simultaneously.

Gleb.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:01 AM
  • Thanks for your Info!

Can i use ReFS as File System for those LUNs?

Thursday, December 3, 2015 10:10 AM
  • Windows Server 2012 R2 supports ReFS on cluster shared volumes. However, you cannot use all integrity features of ReFS on volumes hosting VHDs, so there is only limited reliability benefit. There is a number of threads discussing use of ReFS with Hyper-V (example here and here). I believe it is still a common practice to use NTFS for CSV volumes that host vhd-files.

Gleb.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 12:21 PM