none
EVM using %Complete why not? RRS feed

• Question

• I am starting to introduce EVM and I have read many articles where they suggest to use Physical % Complete instead of %Complete mainly because I believe if a task gets completed early or late then you can adjust the physical % Complete without affecting the actual work. However Can't you achieve the same thing by adjusting the remaining work and using %Complete? Example task is baselined for 10 hrs and when %complete is at 50% resource inform that the task is finished and original estimate was wrong. Now if I adjust the remaining work to 0 then task is marked as complete and actual work is 5 hrs and EVM metrics are adjusted. I am not seeing the reason why everyone says to use physical % Completion for EVM and not to use %Completion. I am sure I am missing something..if someone can help me understand would highly appreciate it. As a side note our company can use %Completion from resource time sheets automatically to load to MSP but not physical % complete. If i am to use physical % Complete then I have to get status from resources and manually update that which may not be accurate.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:51 PM

Answers

• Hi cmplano,

As you already now, you can use both % Complete and Physical % Complete vor EVM.

The main reason to use Physical % Complete is when the value 'earned' for a task is not directly linked to the automatically calculated progress (i.e. Actual Work).

A small example: one of the tasks is to develop a small component which need to be delivered to the customer. For this task value is only 'earned' when something can be shown or deliverd to the customer. Let's say the task has been estimated at 10d of work.
    But the task requires lots of work (8 days) in the back-end before something can be shown to the customer (could be modifications to the database or so). So after 8 days of work (evenly spread), % complete is 80%, but still no value is earned -> Physical % Complete is still 0%.
    After the 9th dat of work, a first draft can be shown to the customer: % Complete = 90% and Physical % Complete = 50%.
    When the task is completed and can be delivered to the customer, both % Complete and Physical % Complete are 100%.

I hope this clarifies the difference between the use of % Complete and Physical % Complete for EVM.

Of course, when you measure value earned based on Actual Work, you could as well use % Complete instead of Physical % Complete.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:18 AM
  • % complete is  duration based and amount of work performed on the task is not relevent.  For example if you have a task with a 10 day duration and 3 work days have passed, the task is 30% complete even if 90% of the work has been performed.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:11 PM

All replies

• % complete is  duration based and amount of work performed on the task is not relevent.  For example if you have a task with a 10 day duration and 3 work days have passed, the task is 30% complete even if 90% of the work has been performed.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Here is a link to a white paper which goes into great details about the various types of task tracking

http://www.msprojectblog.com/MSProjectTips.htm

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Bikerjohn1, Thanks for the information. If the task type is fixed duration then the difference between %complete is greater. I see in your paper on the graph they vary but very slightly. I am trying to understand the main reasons why not to use %complete because Microsoft is suggesting that we can use it for EVM. Is it because of these slight variances in using %complete and at a given time EVM metrics may not give you the most accurate values? But I have to assume physical % complete may also not be very accurate since its manually entered based on the resources feedback and it can be subjective. 

Thanks

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:18 PM
  • Hi cmplano,

As you already now, you can use both % Complete and Physical % Complete vor EVM.

The main reason to use Physical % Complete is when the value 'earned' for a task is not directly linked to the automatically calculated progress (i.e. Actual Work).

A small example: one of the tasks is to develop a small component which need to be delivered to the customer. For this task value is only 'earned' when something can be shown or deliverd to the customer. Let's say the task has been estimated at 10d of work.
    But the task requires lots of work (8 days) in the back-end before something can be shown to the customer (could be modifications to the database or so). So after 8 days of work (evenly spread), % complete is 80%, but still no value is earned -> Physical % Complete is still 0%.
    After the 9th dat of work, a first draft can be shown to the customer: % Complete = 90% and Physical % Complete = 50%.
    When the task is completed and can be delivered to the customer, both % Complete and Physical % Complete are 100%.

I hope this clarifies the difference between the use of % Complete and Physical % Complete for EVM.

Of course, when you measure value earned based on Actual Work, you could as well use % Complete instead of Physical % Complete.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:18 AM
  • Hello Hans.H

Thank you for your explanation and its more clear for me now. To re-iterate on what you said, which type of completion (%complete or physical % complete) will depend on how my organization plans to measure earned value. In your example on day9 you mentioned physical % complete is 50%. What is this based on? I mean how do you know that you have another 50% of work to complete. Isn't this a very subjective judgement?

For an organization that's not very matured in terms of estimating, do you think it makes more sense to use %complete over physical % complete?

Thanks

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:40 PM
  • physical % complete is a manually entered value, meaning that it is definetly subjective.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Thank you Bikerjohn1 and Hans. H for your feedback. I am good on this now.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:08 PM