none
RequestParameters different for same type of request? RRS feed

  • Question

  • In test I have a user with an ObjectID = "cb255b57-634f-4201-a10a-da3febe710ac"

    If from the the portal I remove the value for Description, I see the request parameter (from the processed request) as so:

    <RequestParameter xmlns:q1="http://microsoft.com/wsdl/types/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:type="UpdateRequestParameter">
      <Target>cb255b57-634f-4201-a10a-da3febe710ac</Target>
      <Calculated>false</Calculated>
      <PropertyName>Description</PropertyName>
      <Operation>Create</Operation>
      <Mode>Modify</Mode>
    </RequestParameter>

    The "Request" details from the Portal then show the Description attribute with a Type of "Unknown".

    If from the FIMAutomation cmdlets, I perform the same action where I "Replace" the Description attribute with $null I get this slightly different request:

    <RequestParameter xmlns:q1="http://microsoft.com/wsdl/types/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:type="UpdateRequestParameter">
      <Target>cb255b57-634f-4201-a10a-da3febe710ac</Target>
      <Calculated>false</Calculated>
      <PropertyName>Description</PropertyName>
      <Value xsi:type="xsd:string" />
      <Operation>Create</Operation>
      <Mode>Modify</Mode>
    </RequestParameter>

    The "Request" details from the Portal then show the Description attribute with a Type of "String"

    Not a big deal since (i'm assuming) both actions end with the same result. Just curious as some Requests are shown as Unknown and others are shown as "String/Reference/Integer". This came up while I was exporting the Request History.




    Monday, May 7, 2012 9:29 PM

Answers

  • I've seen similar results. It seems to be that some create/update operations are more 'explicitly typed' while others are 'looser typed' for lack of better terminology.

    I've seen that with custom activity creates/updates.

    It all seems to work, so I didn't give it much thought. I'm sure there's a pattern in there somewhere but I haven't investigated.


    Frank C. Drewes III - Senior Consultant: Oxford Computer Group

    Monday, May 7, 2012 10:16 PM

All replies

  • I've seen similar results. It seems to be that some create/update operations are more 'explicitly typed' while others are 'looser typed' for lack of better terminology.

    I've seen that with custom activity creates/updates.

    It all seems to work, so I didn't give it much thought. I'm sure there's a pattern in there somewhere but I haven't investigated.


    Frank C. Drewes III - Senior Consultant: Oxford Computer Group

    Monday, May 7, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Thanks Frank, I will have to keep this in mind when exporting out the request history
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:44 PM