Windows 7 wired 802.1x EAP-TTLS authentication method RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have problem with changing authentication methods for 802.1x on network interface. Service "Wired Auto Config Service" is running but I cannot change authentication to EAP-TTLS (PAP). When I try to change authentication method I can chose only between two options - Microsoft: Card or certificate and Microsoft: PEAP

I tried reinstall network driver (Intel network card) and change network card to Realtec, but no result. Please help me how to add EAP-TTLS method to Windows network driver.

Thanks,

Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hi PetroSeva,

Please make sure if it supports EAP-TTLS, Windows will need additional software. PEAP with MS-CHAPv2 is built directly into Windows.

EAP-TTLS is a standards-based EAP tunneling method that supports mutual authentication and provides a secure tunnel for client inclusion authentication by using EAP methods and other legacy protocols. The addition of EAP-TTLS in Windows Server 2012 provides only client-side support, for the purpose of supporting interoperation with the most commonly-deployed RADIUS servers that support EAP-TTLS. Please refer to the link below about TTLS configuration items.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh945104%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

The EAP-TTLS method uses server-side certificates to set up authentication between clients and servers. The actually authentication is, however, performed using passwords.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 16, 2016 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi PetroSeva,

Please make sure if it supports EAP-TTLS, Windows will need additional software. PEAP with MS-CHAPv2 is built directly into Windows.

EAP-TTLS is a standards-based EAP tunneling method that supports mutual authentication and provides a secure tunnel for client inclusion authentication by using EAP methods and other legacy protocols. The addition of EAP-TTLS in Windows Server 2012 provides only client-side support, for the purpose of supporting interoperation with the most commonly-deployed RADIUS servers that support EAP-TTLS. Please refer to the link below about TTLS configuration items.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh945104%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

The EAP-TTLS method uses server-side certificates to set up authentication between clients and servers. The actually authentication is, however, performed using passwords.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 16, 2016 2:10 AM
  • Hi PetroSeva,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? Because the case may be closed few days later.
    If you feel the suggestion could be helpful to you, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please feel free to post back and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best regards,
    Carl Fan

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:30 AM