Upgrade SPS 2003 to MOSS 2007 using database migration requirement RRS feed

• Question

• I apology if i post this question that already have many answers.  I searched and found many answers to this topic which are so helpful but I want to confirm on something that I could not find yet so far...

Can anyone please give me an answer to the following question: 

-   does the database migration require an in place upgrade on SPS 2003 first ?

-  Can the database migration work on a new MOSS 2007 farm (completely separate new servers)

Thanks

Friday, May 2, 2008 7:09 PM

Answers

• The database migration does not require an in place upgrade. It does require that you run a prescan on the SharePoint 2003 Portals and WSS sites.

The database migration will work on a new MOSS 2007 farm. You should back-up the databases before running the migration. Do not perform the migration on the databases while SharePoint 2003 is still using them, your SharePoint 2003 environment will not be able to display content from the databases once they have been upgraded. If performing the upgrade directly on the databases (vs restoring them to another server or with another name) you should bring your SharePoint 2003 environment offline.

Rafael

http://blog.rafelo.com

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Monday, December 22, 2008 9:26 PM
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 4:46 AM