Printer attached to print server RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Hello,

I am currently having a problem getting a printer to work on a machine that I've installed Windows SteadyState on.

• I've installed SteadyState on a machine that logs into itself (not a domain). 
    • The printer that I wish to map to has a static IP and is managed through a print server that is on our domain. 
    • I have mapped to the printer using \\print_server_name\printer_name and printed a test page which worked.
    • After ensuring the printer was configured I began to configure the SteadyState restrictions.
      • I've left the Prevent users from add / remove printers option unchecked.
      • I've also left the Remove printers icon unchecked
    • When I enable the SteadyState settings I am unable to print and I receive an error message basically telling me that it is having issues finding the printer. 

Is there a setting somewhere that I've over looked?  If anyone has any ideas or requires further information I'd be pleased to hear / provide any additional details.

Chris Maddeaux

Thursday, September 27, 2007 9:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

First of all, please let me know the exact error message and the background infomation if there is.

I suggest we change the restriction level of SteadyState to check this issue: Firstly, you can create a new user profile with “No restrictions”. If you can print, we can change its level to “Low restrictions”

Until the issue reoccurs, we can compare the differences between two levels and find the root cause gradually.

Best Regards,

Monday, October 1, 2007 3:05 AM
  • Hello and sorry for the delay in responding. 

The error is as follows:

Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup.

Try one or more of the following:

* Check the printer by printing a test page from Windows.

* Make sure the printer is turned on and online.

* Reinstall the printer driver.

I will reset the security settings and work my way up from low and see if the error still occurs.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 5:28 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Thank you for your feedback.

Usually, security warning/error will be received if the issue is caused by restrictions. Thus, the above error may not be caused by SteadyState. If the issue persists when No Restriction is configured, you may need to obtain further assistance from Windows XP Hardware newsgroup, or the Hardware manufacturer:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Friday, November 9, 2007 2:51 AM