cannot delete search service application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

I added a new app server / Central Administration to the farm.   I stopped services on old app server and started them on new server.   The previous search service application was deleted.    I created a new search service application and am having a hard time trying to delete it.     I see the following error (Event ID 6398) in the application event logs on the server:

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.IndexingScheduleJobDefinition (ID a1c22ad5-543b-40e0-ae5e-fe66f3f30d23) threw an exception. More information is included below.

databaseConnectionString

When deleting from Central Administration, only the search proxy was removed.   The 'Search Administration Web Service for Search Service Application 2' and 'Search Service Application 2' items cannot be deleted.  It gives me a request timed out.

I also tried stopping timer service, clearing config cache.  No luck.  

Tried the following from PowerShell.....but it's been running over an hour without any updates....

Get-SPServiceApplication

Remove-SPServiceApplication cc5f6462-17e7-4ec5-ac88-d3106063a10c -RemoveData

Any other suggestions?  thanks.

EDIT:  from Job History i can see the following failed jobs:

(Indexing Schedule Manager) which has error message databaseConnectionString

and job (Configuring the new search service application Search Service Application 2) which has error Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   probably because databases no longer exist. 

• Edited by XRS Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:22 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:59 PM

Answers

• OK...I re-ran the command below on the Search Administration Web Service application first, which removed it from the list.  I then went back and tried it on the Search Service Application and it finally removed from list also.

However, I noticed that two of the search databases did not get removed from the SQL server.   Also, see this now in the event logs.    I'll try creating a new search application to see if it works this time.

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.Preservation.PreservationJobDefinition (ID 8ab04f3a-4c2f-4078-92d0-cd28aa51e530) threw an exception. More information is included below.

The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service.

EDIT:  the above looks like its related to the eDiscovery In-Place Processing job.  Going to disable that.

• Edited by XRS Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by XRS Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:01 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:43 PM

All replies

• Just try deleting it manually via Central Admin -> Manage Service Application -> search Service Application from the top ribbon click on Delete.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:21 PM
  • Yeah first thing I tried..doesn't work.  Either times out or gives me that databaseConnectionString error.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:23 PM
  • OK...I re-ran the command below on the Search Administration Web Service application first, which removed it from the list.  I then went back and tried it on the Search Service Application and it finally removed from list also.

However, I noticed that two of the search databases did not get removed from the SQL server.   Also, see this now in the event logs.    I'll try creating a new search application to see if it works this time.

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.Preservation.PreservationJobDefinition (ID 8ab04f3a-4c2f-4078-92d0-cd28aa51e530) threw an exception. More information is included below.

The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service.

EDIT:  the above looks like its related to the eDiscovery In-Place Processing job.  Going to disable that.

• Edited by XRS Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by XRS Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:01 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:43 PM
  • Just remove those databases from SSMS and then try deleting it from SharePoint UI.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:56 PM
  • Hi XPS,

Has this problem been solved?

If you have any questions, you can update them at any time.

If you think the replies are helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 8:06 AM