Best Practice for Managing Cookies in an Enterprise Environment RRS feed

• Question

• We are upgrading to IE11 for our enterprise. One member of the team wants to set a group policy that will delete all cookies every time the user exits IE11.  We have some websites that users access that use cookies to track progress in training, but are deleted when the user closes the browser.  What is the business best practice regarding deleting all history, temp internet files and, especially cookies when closing a browser.

If you can point me to a white paper on this topic, that would be helpful.

Thanks

Bill

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• I don't personally know of any Enterprises that manage the browser behavior in this manner but I am positive that there are many examples out there. The move to IE 11 buys you quite a lot in the way of a more secure browser. If you already have an internal policy regarding cookie retention for your employee sites I could see how managing the larger picture would look like a good idea. I always come back to the user experience for these types of changes. Possibly you make this change on a dozen or so 'pilot' subjects manually and collect their feedback after a week.

I am always cautious about anything that has the potential to negatively impact the users current experiences. You may find in your business that it poses no issue at all.

I did some Binging around and didn't find anything in the way of documentation.

Good luck!

bill

Regards, Bill Moore @BMooreAtDell

Thursday, May 29, 2014 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding cookie settings, we could manage IE privacy settings using Administrative templates for IE 11:

Administrative templates and Internet Explorer 11

Delete and manage cookies

The Administrative templates for IE 11, we could download from here:

Administrative Templates for Internet Explorer 11

Hope this may help

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, June 9, 2014 1:36 AM
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:19 AM