Windows 7 ignoring my pagefile settings RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 7 Professional 64bit set up on a system with a mirrored system drive, and two non-mirrored drives, including an SSD drive that is configured with ReadyBoost. Because mirroring is for data integrity, and has a performance cost associated with it, I do not want any pagefile on my system drive. Instead, I want page files on the non-mirrored drives.

So I use Computer->Properties and access "Advanced System Settings" to bring up the System properties dialog. I click the "Advanced" Tab and in the "Performance" section, I click "Settings" to bring up the "Performance Options" dialog. Then, I click the "Advanced" tab and in the "Virtual memory" section, I click "Change" to bring up the "Virtual Memory" dialog. There, it lists the drive letters and paging file options for each drive.

I set the SSD drive (A:) to "Custom size" with "Initial size (MB):" as 24576 and "Maximum size (MB):" as 24576, and click "Set".

I set the other non-mirrored drive (B:) to "Custom size" with "Initial size (MB):" as 24576 and "Maximum size (MB):" as 24576, and click "Set".

I set the System drive (C:) to "No paging file" and click "Set". I have also tried setting the System drive (C:) to the "Minimum allowed" value of 16MB (both initial size and maximum size).

I get the appropriate warnings, if I set "No paging file", and accept the consequences. If I set the 16MB paging file on the system drive, I don't get a warning about not having a pagefile.

I reboot, to let the new settings take effect. When the system comes up, if I had set "No paging file" on the system drive, Windows informs me that it has created a paging file on the system drive, and that file is about the same size as physical memory, i.e. 12G., and the "Performance Options" advanced tab reports that the "Total paging file size for all drives" is 12288MB.

If, instead, I had set the System drive to have the minimum allowed paging file of 16MB, "Performance Options" advanced tab reports "Total paging file size for all drives" is 16MB.

In no situation does it ever honor the settings shown in the Virtual memory dialog box for the other drives.

I have checked that "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PageFileOnOsVolume" is set to 0, and "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\TempPageFile" does not exist OR has been set to 0 (Windows always changes this parameter to 1 if I have selected "No paging file" for the system volume. So I change it back to 0, reboot, and Windows changes it to 1 ad creates the 12288MB pagefile on the system volume).

I have disabled BitLocker -- it cannot start up.

I am really not sure what hoops I have to jump through in order to convince Windows to use the pagefile setup that I specify. At the very least, if I set up the minimum pagefile on the System drive, to avoid the bulk of the performance consequences of paging to a mirrored drive and to prevent Windows from automatically creating the 12G pagefile on the system drive, I do expect that the other pagefiles on the non-mirrored drives will be used by the system, but the "Performance Options" dialog makes it clear that the only paging file in use is the one on the system volume -- exactly what I do not want.

Can you please tell me how to get Windows to respect my chosen settings?

I have also tried moving one of the non-mirrored disks from an I/O card SATA controller to the built-in motherboard SATA controller, but Windows 7 still flatly refuses to honor any pagefile settings that would either add a pagefile on a non-system disk or remove the pagefile entirely from the system disk.
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 5:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I noticed that you mentioned to "disable BitLocker". Since BitLocker was enabled once, please also check if any group policy is applied on this Windows 7 system. From the description the issue could relate to BitLocker. See:

BitLocker Drive Encryption (BDE) enables the PagefileOnOSVolume registry setting in Windows Vista and Windows 7

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929820?wa=wsignin1.0

You can check and disable any BitLocker Drive Envryption function in Grou Policy settings.

BitLocker Group Policy settings can be accessed using the Local Group Policy Editor and the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\BitLocker Drive Encryption. More information:

BitLocker Group Policy Settings
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj679890.aspx

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 3, 2014 2:11 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I noticed that you mentioned to "disable BitLocker". Since BitLocker was enabled once, please also check if any group policy is applied on this Windows 7 system. From the description the issue could relate to BitLocker. See:

BitLocker Drive Encryption (BDE) enables the PagefileOnOSVolume registry setting in Windows Vista and Windows 7

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929820?wa=wsignin1.0

You can check and disable any BitLocker Drive Envryption function in Grou Policy settings.

BitLocker Group Policy settings can be accessed using the Local Group Policy Editor and the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\BitLocker Drive Encryption. More information:

BitLocker Group Policy Settings
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj679890.aspx

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 3, 2014 2:11 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:25 PM
  • Is the article about PageFileOnOSVolume also applies on Windows 8.1 x64 too?

A key was created on:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

called PagefileOnOsVolume and inserted the value of 0.

I suppose it wasn't already created since there exists another pagefile on a storage spaces drive. So according to the article you refer to, since default files used were c:/pagefile.sys and e:/pagefile.sys the OS is not obligated to create this key inside the registry.

I use BitLocker to encrypt my OS drive and fixed data drives on a computer without TPM. Unfortunately, Windows still ignores the setting and creates a temporary Pagefile on the OS drive!

Should I create the key, then reboot with default settings and after that modify the virtual memory settings according to my will? Or, conversely should I restore the defaults on Virtual Memory settings. reboot and check if Windows have created the respectable key on their own? After that we should be able to just change it's value to zero.

Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:51 AM