Sequencing Office 2007 error RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone ran into the same problem as I have trying to sequence Office 2007 Enterprise.  I was able to publish the app, the client download the entire thing and then would not run.  It then spit out the error below

"The operating system is not presently configured to run this application."

I followed the MS KB article 939796 and still with no luck.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:17 PM

Answers

• There was a similar behaviour with Office 2003 in the past and the most successfull action was to to copy an office MSI to the installation target during sequencing.
    That allowed Office to access its MSI during first launch, and it needed that MSI to query the User Name and Initial.

I haven't seen thi for Office 2007, but it's worth a try:

On the Office installation source, find the file  that looks like a "generic" office.msi. I only have a MUI version on hand, here it is (DVD)\OFFICE12\Office.en-us\OfficeMUI.msi (and I also would take OfficeMUISet.msi).
    During Monitoring, copy both file to the folder where all the Office applications are installed to (Q:\MSOFF07.010\Microsoft Office\Office12\).

That was the "emotional" solution.

The analytic one would be to check with ProcMon on the Client if any specific files are missing...

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, June 8, 2009 8:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:07 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:27 PM
  • This one I have seen happen when the sequencer isn't cleaned between sequences.  Don't know if that is the case here, but have definitely seen that in the past. 

mattmcdermott
    Monday, June 8, 2009 11:45 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Does the application or app-v throw that error out?

What did you do during monitoring?

/Znack
    Friday, June 5, 2009 5:59 AM
  • During monitoring, I install Office with the MSP file tucked inside the updates folder.  Ran the install, launch Word, Excel, etc post install then stop monitoring.  The error appears after the user click on the office app icon (any Word, Excel, Access, etc) then the files loads completely on the bottom right corner and then i'll say The operating system is not presently configured to run this application.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Hello,

How have you configured Office to install?

/Znack
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Install all to run from drive and set the destination to Q:
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Hello,

I believe the error message means that Office needs to repair something.

Probably something is misconfigured but it seems to relate to the fact that the MSI can't repair itself in the virtual environment.

/Znack
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:46 PM
  • There was a similar behaviour with Office 2003 in the past and the most successfull action was to to copy an office MSI to the installation target during sequencing.
    That allowed Office to access its MSI during first launch, and it needed that MSI to query the User Name and Initial.

I haven't seen thi for Office 2007, but it's worth a try:

On the Office installation source, find the file  that looks like a "generic" office.msi. I only have a MUI version on hand, here it is (DVD)\OFFICE12\Office.en-us\OfficeMUI.msi (and I also would take OfficeMUISet.msi).
    During Monitoring, copy both file to the folder where all the Office applications are installed to (Q:\MSOFF07.010\Microsoft Office\Office12\).

That was the "emotional" solution.

The analytic one would be to check with ProcMon on the Client if any specific files are missing...

Falko
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:27 PM
  • This one I have seen happen when the sequencer isn't cleaned between sequences.  Don't know if that is the case here, but have definitely seen that in the past. 

mattmcdermott
    Monday, June 8, 2009 11:45 AM
  • That might be a possible cause, I will use a clean machine and re-run the sequence again.  I'll post my findings.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 9:26 PM
  • so I finally was able to get office 2007 to work after I sequenced it on a fresh machine following the steps from the App-V team blog.  i still was not able to follow the steps from MS KB article about sequencing office 2007 with the MST file.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:08 PM