Program locations RRS feed

• Question

• I want to know all locations or lists of my pc's programs. I know to go down to start/control panel/then programs and features, but not all programs go to that list of software. like I had windows movie maker, I don't remember uninstalling it, so I typed windows movie maker in the start menu bar and it didn't show up, so I went to programs and features, and not in the list. it is either not installed or ,.... WELL IS THERE ANOTHER LOCATION WHERE I CAN VIEW ALL MY PROGRAMS INSTALLED AND THAT COME WITH WINDOWS 7? And am I looking at it wrong in the first place? you may ask me my own question to show me where I made any errors there, and then I can change how I am wondering wondering it so you may answer my question correctly lol. My point is, sometimes people ask a question, and you may know the answer to what I mean, but I not have worded it right. THANK YOU :)
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi learnfast4getquicker,

You could list all installed program on your computer as a txt file by using following command

Wmic

/output:<path of txt file> product

Note: if installed program didn’t register whole information, some properties would be missing in the list.

For your question about feature and program

Feature is designed for better User Experience in Windows. We usually say turn on/off a feature. Some features included with Windows, such as Internet Information Services, must be turned on before you can use them. Certain other features are turned on by default, but you can turn them off if you don’t use them.

To turn a feature off in earlier versions of Windows, you had to uninstall it completely from your computer. It sounds more like a program. In recent version of Windows, the features remain stored on your hard disk so you can turn them back on if you want to. Turning off a feature does not uninstall the feature, and it does not reduce the amount of hard disk space used by Windows features.

And yes, some featured programs like Internet Explorer doesn’t show when you click programs and Features, but it shows in the list when you click “Turn Windows features on or off”. When you turn off Internet Explorer, the package won’t be removed.

Programs could be designed by Microsoft or other third party vendors, and all of them can be installed on Windows. In principle, the whole packages should be removed from your computer when you uninstall them.

Regards

D. Wu 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 20, 2015 5:00 AM