Word keeps crashing when clicking "Save As" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

Has anyone encountered an issue with Word (Office 365 version) crashing when using Save As function?  This is what I see in the event viewer when Word crashes:

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 16.0.7070.2033, time stamp: 0x579646a6
    Faulting module name: mso99Lwin32client.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5793ca8e
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0021a80e
    Faulting process id: 0x16f8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1f76509523d8b
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office16\mso99Lwin32client.dll
    Report Id: 4c918a6b-6358-11e6-8680-d067e513e40f

I've tried running the quick and online repair but doesn't resolve the issue.  Using the "Save" function works but not "Save As".

I'm suspecting Word is crashing because Word is trying to render the Save As destination folder with 50,000+ files inside.  Although, we do have other PCs that are working perfectly fine, it's only this machine is having an issue.

Any tips on how to resolve this issue? Please let me know!

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by MatrixM Monday, August 22, 2016 7:48 PM Forgot to add which version of Word.
    Monday, August 22, 2016 7:47 PM

All replies

• Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change > Repair)?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 3:36 AM
  • Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change > Repair)?

Paul,

OP mentioned that "I've tried running the quick and online repair but doesn't resolve the issue" :-).

MatrixM<abbr class="affil"></abbr>,

Is this a recently happened issue?

Have a check in Word safe mode and see if the issue persists:

Press Win + R and type "winword.exe /safe" in the blank box, then press Enter.

Windows clean boot is also worth a try. Could be some applications installed on the same machine, which are interfering with Word:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the link.  I've updated to the latest version of Office last night as it suppose to have the fix for the Save As crashing issue.  After testing it out for a bit, the problem came back again.  I'm using the F12 function as a workaround for now.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 2:25 PM
  • Hi Ethan,

Yes, this problem creeped up all of a sudden.  Only happens to this 1 user, no one else.  The Save As crashes when it's pointed to a shared folder with 50K+ files inside.  I'm not sure why it doesn't crash for other users when it's pointed to the same location.

Safe mode for Word or Excel doesn't help either.  It will still crash.  I have no special add-ins for any Office applications either.

I'll try out the clean boot mode for Windows 7.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 2:29 PM
  • >>The Save As crashes when it's pointed to a shared folder with 50K+ files inside

Does this only happen when it's pointed to this specific share?

>>I'll try out the clean boot mode for Windows 7.

Go ahead and give it a try, please feel free to post back with any findings.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 26, 2016 11:32 AM
  • Hi Ethan,

Clean boot doesn't fix the issue.  Now the issue is happening across all users who are pointed to the network share of 50K files/folders at root level.

Apparently it's an ongoing bug that needs to be fixed: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-word/known-issues-that-cause-word-2016-to-crash-or-stop/585eaee2-d771-4c88-86a3-733314dfc81d

Any beta patches that can resolve this issue?

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 4:28 AM
  • Bump.
    • Proposed as answer by Thibault1991 Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Thibault1991 Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:50 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Hello Guys, 

I found an solution for this matter. Finally working for me,

Uninstall Microsoft Office first,

Then, go install Microsoft Office WITH 64 BITS VERSION ONLY. Indeed, for my case, the bug occurs while i used a 32 bits version. Now that i installed the 64 bits version, no more bug. 

The steps are go to https://stores.office.com/myaccount/home.aspx#install

Then, choose the link "Language, 32/64bits and other installation options", choose 64 bits, and you good to go. 

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Robertooo1 Saturday, January 12, 2019 6:37 PM
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:55 AM
  • Not sure if this is still happening to you or not, but if you are going to File and having Word crash try this.

• When you edit the document, select all (CTRL+A) and copy (CTRL+C) it.
    • Open a new instance of word, creating a blank page file.
    • Paste (CTRL+V) what you copied earlier into the blank page.
    • Close the original document.
    • On the new document, go to File, Save As, and save over the original document you were editing.

This issue sometimes happens when the original document was created in two or more versions ago of Office. I have seen this happen in both Word, and Excel, and this fixed the issue. Hope this helps.

Thursday, June 29, 2017 3:12 PM
  • This copy paste new file doesn't work for me, still crash as soon as "Save" or "Save As" is pressed.

Not only Words, Excel crashed too.  I found my solution anyway, it is the save default Doc path that caused the crash.  I select other folder as default location and this problem is gone. 

Not sure if this is because of ownership permission sort of thing, I migrated from HDD to SSD within same machine.  Did encounter permission issue for other applications.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 4:48 AM
  • This problem popped up for me 5 or 6 days ago, and happens every time that I try to save to a networked drive. It happens with any Office program (Excel, Word, etc) but does not happen with other programs, like Adobe. Note that I can save to my local hard drive just fine; it's always a networked drive that forces the hard crash in Word or Excel.

Also, I witnessed the same thing at a meeting that I attended today at a totally different company with a totally different network. An attendee at the meeting said that the same thing happened to him at his [totally different company with totally different network].

This is not a user problem. It's an Office/Word/Excel problem, and all 3 instances occurred when saving to networked drives.

I have completely uninstalled Office 365 from 3 different computers on the network, and reinstalled, with no change. I have attempted to Change/Repair Office from the Control Panel, but that crashes. I have restarted my NAS, modem, and router. No change. I have remapped my network drives. No change.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:34 PM
  • I have the exact same problem. I've tried manually wiping all files and reg keys, clean reinstallation, nothing seems to work. Microsoft really needs to respond on this soon considering I just re-upped a licence that I can't user because of this crash. 

Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:18 AM
  • Same here - we have about 100 Office installations and about 50-60% of the users have this problem. We are searching for a solution since a year now. It normally happens with the first document a day. The rest of the day it works. So testing is very time-consuming and cost-intensive. We found no consents between the users with or without the problem.

Office 2016 32bit on x64 Windows 10 Ent., no plugins, nothing special, updates installed.
    We tryed clean installs and about 10000 other things we found on the forums.
    The Microsoft service also did not help - "do a clean install blabla"  - we already tryed all these things, so we stopped waisting our time with first level support.

For us it looks definitely like a software bug inside Office and we hope Office 2018 will fix this :)

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:11 PM
  • Same here - we have about 100 Office installations and about 50-60% of the users have this problem. We are searching for a solution since a year now. It normally happens with the first document a day. The rest of the day it works. So testing is very time-consuming and cost-intensive. We found no consents between the users with or without the problem.

Office 2016 32bit on x64 Windows 10 Ent., no plugins, nothing special, updates installed.
    We tryed clean installs and about 10000 other things we found on the forums.
    The Microsoft service also did not help - "do a clean install blabla"  - we already tryed all these things, so we stopped waisting our time with first level support.

For us it looks definitely like a software bug inside Office and we hope Office 2018 will fix this :)

Can you reproduce the problem if you start Word in Safe mode? If not, the underlying cause is an add-in, a corrupt Normal template, or damaged registry entries for Word. Also, make sure that there is a printer driver installed and set as the Windows default.

I can ensure you that there is no generic problem running 32 bit Office 2016 on 64 bit Windows 10, because that is the setup I am running myself.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:39 PM
  • Hi Stefan, thanks for you reply. Yes, we can reproduce this also in safe mode. And also on complete new installed PCs with only Office installed. We tryed different hardware, different drivers, different patch levels, reinstalled everything, spying with wireshark to it. We also had the idea with the printer... -> Little Update here - we have figured out today that it dont crash, afer we have removed the network drive mappings. We give that an other try tomorrow.

• Edited by Humpix Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:30 PM
  • And you have never seen the problem with some other program than Word? One thing to check is WordPad.

Sunday, January 7, 2018 11:08 PM
  • Nope, but we will try with wordpad. If we found somthing I will post it here... For the moment we look deeper into the network drive mappings. Without them we have no crashes... BR

Monday, January 8, 2018 11:30 AM
  • Nope, but we will try with wordpad. If we found somthing I will post it here... For the moment we look deeper into the network drive mappings. Without them we have no crashes... BR

Thanks for the follow-up.

It appears that network drive mappings are part of the problem then. :-(

Monday, January 8, 2018 11:34 AM
  • All,

I think I may have solved my own version of this problem: it started after a recent reboot of my server, when I remapped all of my drives to the EXTERNAL version of the drive, e.g. the IP address that I would use as if I were logging into the server from outside of my local network.

After looking at the single computer that wasn't displaying this problem, I realized that it was still mapped to my server using my INTERNAL IP address.

I disconnected all of the "external" mappings, and remapped using the "internal" address. So far so good. I'll let you know if this ends up being a red herring.

Edit: Nope. That didn't work either. 24 hours later and still major issues.
    • Proposed as answer by Molly Carmody Monday, February 5, 2018 6:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Molly Carmody Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:16 PM
    • Edited by Molly Carmody Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:16 PM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 6:54 PM
  • I had this same issue just start up after I renewed my Office subscription.  Not sure if the issue is related, but that's around when it started.

In any case, it only happened when saving to a mapped network drive.  When saving to local disk it didn't crash. 

Based on the posts above, I simply disconnected (unmapped) the network drive, remapped it and it resolved the crashing problem 100%

Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:37 PM
  • I had a client that was having the same issue, when using the Save As function on an existing document it would crash Word with the following Application Error:

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 16.0.7369.2127, time stamp: 0x58e3408f
    Faulting module name: ucrtbase.DLL, version: 10.0.10586.1412, time stamp: 0x5a64613e
    Exception code: 0xc0000417
    Fault offset: 0x000835c4
    Faulting process id: 0xfb4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d415604cc0ed57
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ucrtbase.DLL
    Report Id: 950e3bd7-8153-11e8-b67a-847beb2bbad7

I tried running a full Office repair and reinstall and that did not fix the issue. Unregistering and reregistering the dll from the Application Error did not work. Deleting printer drivers (as suggested) did not work. I then tried the Open and Repair option when opening a document from Word and that seemed to fix the crashing. Any document that crashed for the client would no longer crash when opened via the Open and Repair option. See the document below for more information. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/893672/how-to-open-documents-by-using-the-open-and-repair-feature-in-word

Friday, July 6, 2018 7:59 PM
  • We search for days for a solutions but finally found something we never thought would affect it.

Most retarded thing we ever thought.  We had a business corporate edition of malwarebytes with the exploit software which seems to be the real problem --- https://www.tenforums.com/microsoft-office-365/86292-word-2016-crashes-save-save.html

After we uninstalled the malwarebyptes CORPORATE EDITION (on a domain) - everything started working no problems with with both 32-bit and 64-bit of Word and Excel 365 (March 2019)

Then we installed the HOME version of Malwarebytes and the Word and Excel continue to work no problems.

-- MAP DRIVES WAS NOT THE ISSUE

-- OFFICE 365 REPAIR DID NOT FIX

-- REMOVING / CHANGING REGISTRY KEYS DID NOT WORK

*** THROWING OUT MALWAREBYTES CORPORATE EDITION FIXED THE PROBLEM ***

This was on a Domain environment with workstations using Windows 10 Professional with the latest updates as of March 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Ronald Rossi Wednesday, June 10, 2020 6:59 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:04 AM
  • DOES NOT WORK - SEE MY THREAD
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:05 AM
  • DOES NOT WORK - SEE MY THREAD
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:05 AM
  • Your 'solution' is hardly likely to be relevant to the OP's problem of 2 1/2 years ago... It's not even apparent that the OP was using Malwarebytes and, even if that were the case, it's undoubtedly a different version to what you were using. Kindly don't resurrect old threads just to hijack them for unrelated issues.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Edited by macropodMVP Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:22 AM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:21 AM
  • This fix worked for me.

Paul might not like you hijacking the post, but THANK YOU.   I spent 4 days trying all the standard answers and none of them worked.  Including a clean boot that should have taken Malwarebytes out of the equation.

I was running Home Version of Malwarebytes and the March 2019 updates screwed up all my office apps with the same symptoms.  All started but crashed as soon as I tried to click on anything.

I uninstalled Malwarebytes on the off chance, and this fix worked.  Brilliant!  Thanks for posting this was the first place I found to suggest it out of hundreds of posts about Office apps dying.  Thank you.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:17 PM
  • Irony, just wanted to say thank you
    As nothing else made sense, digging around the Internet led me here and MBAM Corporate was the issue
    ONLY with one profile, would crash and burn on all office programs and the error was the office.exe and MSVCR90.dll
    So who says old threads are useless? Uninstalled all Malwarebytes products, ran clean tool, reinstalled, all is well
    Wednesday, June 10, 2020 7:06 PM