2008 R2 RODC RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to be deploying an RODC in a branch office soon but need to get a few pointers. The main office is setup using SBS 2008 and I have a few member servers running 2008 R2. I am wanting to use 2008 R2 as the RODC but I was reading that to use an RODC based on 2008 R2 that the domain has to contain a writable domain controller with 2008 R2.

Is this going to be possible or do I need to use just 2008 server for the RODC?

Thanks.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Find here how to install RODC and SBS 2008 environment:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/11/archive/2009/08/31/installing-a-read-only-domain-controller-rodc-in-sbs-2008-and-essential-business-server-2008-environment.aspx

Best regards, Mark. | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, December 19, 2011 6:07 AM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

Before installing an RODC, you need to deploy at least one writable domain controller running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

An RODC that runs Windows Server 2008 R2 can replicate the domain partition from a writable domain controller that runs Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2. But if an RODC that runs Windows Server 2008 R2 is added to a domain that has only a writable domain controller that runs Windows Server 2008, the RODC logs Event ID 2916 in the Directory Services log. This error can be disregarded, and it will not appear if there is a writable domain controller that runs Windows Server 2008 R2 in the domain.

For more information about prerequisites for Deploying an RODC, please refer to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731243(WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bruce

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 12, 2011 9:13 AM
  • If you have a windows 2008 DC, then you can deploy windows 2008 RODC in that environment.

But you cannot deploy windows 2008 R2 RODC where your domain controller is windows 2008. 

The operating systems should match. 

anand
    Monday, December 12, 2011 11:19 AM
  • I am considering adding a second writable domain controller in the main office and would install 2008R2 on it. Is there anything special I need to do to SBS before adding this server? Once the 2008R2 writable domain controller is in place, then I will have no trouble setting up an RODC with 2008R2 in the remote office? Is there anything I should be aware of before tackeling this?

Thanks for the help so far

Dominic

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:29 PM
  • 1) run rodcprep along with forestprep and domainprep.

2) make note all users and comptuers in remote site and extract to a text file. This will help you cache their credentials after RODC is setup. Although this step can be done later on as well.

It should all go pretty smooth

cheers

anand
    • Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, December 19, 2011 6:07 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Hi Dominic,

If you need further assistance, as the problem is related to SBS 2008, it is recommended you create a new thread in the SBS forum for quick and accurate response to the question. The support professional there are more familiar with it and can help you in a more efficient way.

Small Business Server

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Bruce

Monday, December 19, 2011 6:08 AM