none
SMF - Job Scheduling RRS feed

• General discussion

• First off I'm new to MOF/SMF.  I read through the overview and accompanying downloaded documentation.  My focus is on change management and job scheduling.  The company I work for does not currently have a process in place for change or job scheduling management.  Of particular concern is the interdependency between jobs and error detection with regards to batch job execution at the step and job levels.  I feel fairly comfortable with the methods and concepts covered in the documentation, but was wondering if there are UI tools available which support the MOF/SMF models?   I thought I read somewhere that MS was planning on integrating  as software MOF/SMF solution into TS VS08  and S2K8.  The company I work for I currently using S2K3 and TS VS05.  Looking for some practical advice on the best way to proceed.  Thanks in advance.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 3:00 PM

All replies

• I'm still trying to gain a firmer understanding of MS recommend "Best Practices" for our ogranizations IT Department's change and job process management endevors.   From what I have be able to gather so far MS has incorporated into VS05 and VS08 the MSF process model with regards to change management, but that it has yet to be tighty integrate with MOF methods.  I have been unable to find any clear direction on how MS intends to tie the job process management with change management.   According to the MS documentation Job scheduling falls under the umbrella of SMF, but as far as I can tell there is no job scheduling integration between VS05 TS and W2K3.  Our orgaization current does not have VS08 TS and WS2K8.  Can anyone tell be in MS has tightly integrated a job scheduling with the Change Management (MSF) solution in VS08 TS and WS2K8? 
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:58 PM
  • I'm still trying to gain a firmer understanding of MS recommend "Best Practices" for our organizations IT Department's change and job process management endeavors.   From what I have be able to gather so far MS has incorporated into VS05 and VS08 the MSF process model with regards to change management, but that it has yet to be tightly integrate with MOF methods.  I have been unable to find any clear direction on how MS intends to tie the job process management with change management.   According to the MS documentation Job scheduling falls under the umbrella of SMF, but as far as I can tell there is no job scheduling integration between VS05 TS and W2K3.  Our organizations' current does not have VS08 TS and WS2K8.  Can anyone tell be in MS has tightly integrated job scheduling with the Change Management (MSF) solution in VS08 TS and WS2K8? 
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:03 PM
  • Okay,  Here are my latest finds... SSIS packages can be developed using SQL2K5 to schedule which task need to run when.  It will also can be setup with interdependency between the tasks.  SSIS also has the ability to hand task which fail, including notification of the proper individuals.  VS05 TS in conjunction with Foundation Server allows you to automate the deployment of changes including the SSIS packages.    Still have a lot of questions, but a least for now it seems like I'm head in the right direction :)
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:23 PM
  • Hi GotNetDude,

I don’t know Visual Studio or Team System, but if you know share your experience with us it will be welcome J

Regards,

Cleber Marques
    MOF Brazil Project: Simplifying IT Service Management
    www.mof.com.br | www.clebermarques.com | www.clebermarques.com.br
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:48 AM