none
Problem with list content - migrating a list with content to new site collection has wrong people names in the new list - /userdisp.aspx?ID= causing issue RRS feed

• Question

• Problem with list content - migrating a list with content to new site collection has wrong people names in the new List- /userdisp.aspx?ID=

Issue:
    for X user userdisp.aspx?ID=100 comes as 100 in 1 site collection and for same user userdisp.aspx?ID=345 comes 345 which creatign issue when creating list via template

Scenario:
    I have sitection A and Sitecollection B.
    Sitecollection A has list which has 10 columns and 1 columns is Manager which is People and Group and has almost 100 records in list.
    I want to move this list to another sitecollection which is under same farm. 
    I saved the list as template include content and new site created new list with this template.

All the data came succesfully in new list but some of the items manager name got replaced.
    After investigating I found the solution below.
    https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/89296/problem-with-list-content-migrating-a-list-with-content-to-new-server-has-wron

However lot of people from  my organization saving the list template and moving here and there, they can not user powerhsell approach all the time.

we want to make sure user X should have same ID 100 (userdisp.aspx?ID=100 ) to all the sitecollection ?

How to solve this issue

Please mark answer , if you think answer is helpful or correct.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 9:38 AM

Answers

• Hi, Mahindrakar,

To clarify, the id in the user information list is merely an item id in the list. The user information is still a list. It varies in different site collections. Every time you grant a new user permission to the site collection, he will be added to user information list and get a new id in the list. It is not the unique identifier used to distinguish user in the farm level.

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by Mahindrakar Tuesday, May 14, 2019 8:36 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi, Mahindrakar,

The Id you are talking is the ID in the user information list.

The user id store in the user information list: http://yoursite/_catalogs/users/detail.aspx, by default the ID field is hidden, you can open the http://yoursite/_layouts/people.aspx >click settings>List settings>click Detail view from the Views section>in columns section, check the ID column.

For every site collection, there has a user information list to store user information. When we grant any user permissions to a user, they are added automatically to the hidden User Information list, a new item will be created in the User Information List storing some information about the user. So you will see different user id in user information list for the same user on different site collections.  It will be better to keep it as it was.

For your original issue. I assume you are using SharePoint 2013. Your goal is to make end-users able to use the list in different site collections.

A list template will not be able to save people picker column. And here is some workarounds you can try:

1. Use a string column instead of people picker column.
    2. Create a Duplicate list in the same site collection. Use a Page Viewer Web Part to display the duplicate list in other site collections(Keep the original list safe). You can do all the needed action through it. For more detailed steps you can check this: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/display-a-web-page-folder-or-file-on-a-classic-sharepoint-page-7f61feec-9b3d-4805-a960-07636ba59527

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, May 10, 2019 7:23 AM
  • HI Jeery Xu,

Thanks for Responding.

I have solution where I can back up list by powershell and import another site collection by powershell so people picker values will get consistent

Solution Mentioned here 

But i dont believe this is the right way, As many people taking list template and create list in another site , so I believe userID should be consistent across all site collection or webapplications. Even though user is present in user information list  or not 

anybody please let me know how userId(userdisplay.aspx?ID=XX) will be consistent across site collection. 

Monday, May 13, 2019 4:06 AM
  • Hi, Mahindrakar,

To clarify, the id in the user information list is merely an item id in the list. The user information is still a list. It varies in different site collections. Every time you grant a new user permission to the site collection, he will be added to user information list and get a new id in the list. It is not the unique identifier used to distinguish user in the farm level.

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

• Marked as answer by Mahindrakar Tuesday, May 14, 2019 8:36 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 10:04 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

Thanks, Yes I believe save as template creates problem for people picker column when we move to another site collection and user information list is empty.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 8:36 AM