multiple domain mail configuration on single local exchange server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi  all,

I've one internal Active Directory Sites which is Single Forest,Single Domain: "domainA.local" with 100 clients and currently we having ONE exchange server 2010 sp2 which host CAS/HUB/MBX role.

I would like to host 3 external domains which is (domainA.com, domainB.com,domainC.com).

I know we can configured multiple external domain at Organization Configuration-->Accepted Domains-->domainA.com,domainB.com,domainC.com

they all should access owa

what other this need to be confiure ?

do I need to create ad user if so how will link with external domain.

• Edited by exchange11 Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:05 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:04 AM

Answers

• Once you create an Accepted Domain.

--

Create an Email address policy for the users separately - if that's the requirement.

--

Now if all the external domain have a Mx record pointing correctly to the firewall . then Nat to exchange hub,cas

--

Then nothing has to be configured extra on the OWA end . they should be able to login in to owa. typing their email address and password

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010/2013 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in | Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you ------------- I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by exchange11 Friday, October 19, 2012 7:10 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Hi ,

thanks for quick response , 'I have few doubt

1- will all users able to access owa through one owa link ?

2-If will create 3 group on ad  & put respective users  to respective group how its  sounds ?

3-what about ad user , do I need to create ad user or shall I create email contact & point as external user .

1. Yes Same OWa link

2. large enterprise - will create Organization Units for every Domain

and Apply Email address policy every domain on specific OU

(Hoping there is no Exchange 2003 in the environment)

3. Am not understanding it.

Why there is a need of a mail contact ?

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010/2013 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in | Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you ------------- I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Sexchange,

Everything answered you correctly. still repeating it here

1- You add all 3 domains in your accepted list and remote domain list (if you want to configure for auto reply etc. for legacy client)

2- Email address policy for auto smtp stamping (when you create any mailbox user, Note: The AD ID will be a part of your Primary domain, But the ID will have a SMTP address as per your policy, you can put the filter option like - company name, dept name etc..) remeber when you authorozed hosting any domain, any mailbox for that domain would in your exchange database.

3- Your entire excange would have one OWA link if you have limited server and doesn't reqd multiple OWA link. Please remeber separate owa link is never related to email address rather it depends the site, you need dedicated CAS server for separate OWA link.

4- All your additional domain shoudl have MX point to your primary domain MX, so that mails for these domain can have a next hop to your exchange server.

domainA.local

While Exchange 2010 is supported with SLDs, the Exchange product team's view is that SLDs are not a recommended configuration, and may not be supported by future Exchange versions.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/ferris/archive/2009/10/27/exchange-2010-and-single-label-domain-names-disjoint-namespaces-and-discontiguous-namespaces-supported.aspx

If you still have any doubt, let us know please.

Mihir Nayak If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:24 AM

All replies

• Once you create an Accepted Domain.

--

Create an Email address policy for the users separately - if that's the requirement.

--

Now if all the external domain have a Mx record pointing correctly to the firewall . then Nat to exchange hub,cas

--

Then nothing has to be configured extra on the OWA end . they should be able to login in to owa. typing their email address and password

• Marked as answer by exchange11 Friday, October 19, 2012 7:10 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Hi ,

2-If will create 3 group on ad  & put respective users  to respective group how its  sounds ?

3-what about ad user , do I need to create ad user or shall I create email contact & point as external user .

• Edited by exchange11 Thursday, October 18, 2012 11:50 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Hi ,

1. Yes Same OWa link

2. large enterprise - will create Organization Units for every Domain

and Apply Email address policy every domain on specific OU

(Hoping there is no Exchange 2003 in the environment)

3. Am not understanding it.

Why there is a need of a mail contact ?

Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Sexchange,

Everything answered you correctly. still repeating it here

1- You add all 3 domains in your accepted list and remote domain list (if you want to configure for auto reply etc. for legacy client)

2- Email address policy for auto smtp stamping (when you create any mailbox user, Note: The AD ID will be a part of your Primary domain, But the ID will have a SMTP address as per your policy, you can put the filter option like - company name, dept name etc..) remeber when you authorozed hosting any domain, any mailbox for that domain would in your exchange database.

3- Your entire excange would have one OWA link if you have limited server and doesn't reqd multiple OWA link. Please remeber separate owa link is never related to email address rather it depends the site, you need dedicated CAS server for separate OWA link.

4- All your additional domain shoudl have MX point to your primary domain MX, so that mails for these domain can have a next hop to your exchange server.

domainA.local

While Exchange 2010 is supported with SLDs, the Exchange product team's view is that SLDs are not a recommended configuration, and may not be supported by future Exchange versions.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/ferris/archive/2009/10/27/exchange-2010-and-single-label-domain-names-disjoint-namespaces-and-discontiguous-namespaces-supported.aspx

If you still have any doubt, let us know please.

Mihir Nayak If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:24 AM
  • some one suggested for multi tenant exchange but I am not happy with multi tenant because of having only few email id .

each domain having 5 to 7 and total around 20 email id .

what you suggest ?

Friday, October 19, 2012 7:14 AM