Help needed with setting up Query Result and Enum list prompts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been tasked with setting up a helpdesk portal using SCSM. Let me start by saying I am in no way an expert in SCSM, I have barely any knowledge at all as all I know is stuff I gathered from different tests.

Now, I have the portal running and I have set up simple request and service offerings for say issues that come in (ie, my outlook isn't receiving mails and such).

I am now trying to get a Request offering where someone would request for a new employee. I want to have a form where the user fills in the name (string), title (string), manager (string), location (enum list), computer requirement (query result), software needs (query result), phone model (query result) and shares (query result).

I can create the request offering and configure all prompts but I cannot map the enum list and the queries to any property. I have followed this blog post to create a runbook to get the information :http://helshabini.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/scorch-2012-how-to-get-service-request-user-input-from-scsm-2012/ but I have no clue how to map them within the request offering, I cannot publish the offering unless all the prompts are mapped...

Anyone has some insight?

Thanks,

Michel

Friday, April 25, 2014 2:23 PM

Answers

• Extend your work item class (I assume Service Request) with a new enumeration property for your enumeration list.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2009/05/28/modeling-deriving-and-extending-classes.aspx

In your new property, make sure you include the "EnumType" attribute that references your enumeration. This means your enumeration will have to exist in a sealed MP, or that your class extension will have to exist in the same MP in which your enumeration is defined.

Enumerations are tightly coupled with class properties. By that I mean you can only map your enumeration answers to an enumeration property of your enumeration type. (Which is why you can't map your enumeration answer to the Urgency enumeration property).

Query answers are not mapped as answers. They are mapped as related items to the service request or incident created when the user clicks Submit.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it creates numerous work items..the request offering process is not creating those items, it's creating relationships between those items and your service request.

Monday, April 28, 2014 2:09 PM

All replies

• to map a query result: under 'Configure Prompt' tab > select the required query result > then click on 'COnfigure' from the top right hand side > then click on '4. Options' tab > then tick any one of the last two options.
    • enum list: go to 'map prompts' tab > then select the required enum list that you want to map - e.g. if you configured the request offering with 'Urgency' list then select 'Urgency' under 'map prompts' in order to map it to urgency
    Monday, April 28, 2014 4:35 AM
  • I understand about the query result but then it creates numerous work items with say a software name or a computer model..

As for the enum list, it's a list that I created myself, I cannot map that to urgency.. For example, a list containing all the sites of my organization.

Thanks,

Michel

Monday, April 28, 2014 12:54 PM
  • Extend your work item class (I assume Service Request) with a new enumeration property for your enumeration list.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2009/05/28/modeling-deriving-and-extending-classes.aspx

In your new property, make sure you include the "EnumType" attribute that references your enumeration. This means your enumeration will have to exist in a sealed MP, or that your class extension will have to exist in the same MP in which your enumeration is defined.

Enumerations are tightly coupled with class properties. By that I mean you can only map your enumeration answers to an enumeration property of your enumeration type. (Which is why you can't map your enumeration answer to the Urgency enumeration property).

Query answers are not mapped as answers. They are mapped as related items to the service request or incident created when the user clicks Submit.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it creates numerous work items..the request offering process is not creating those items, it's creating relationships between those items and your service request.

Monday, April 28, 2014 2:09 PM
  • Thank you Aaron, this help tremendously. I was finally able to publish my request offering.

On the plus side, I have also learned how to create new conf item classes and new forms!

Thanks!

Michel

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:25 PM