none
Add Local Admin to Essentials Server

Question

• I have a client (an optical shop) which uses a 3rd party LOB app for their office. We are using a Dell server with Windows Server Essentials 2012.  Apparently, the latest update version of their LOB program requires the logged in user to have Local Administrator rights.  Their pre-install checklist fails with an error that the Account is not a Local Admin (it's the standard Domain Admin account from an out of the box install).  Their Tech Support indicates the only workaround is to login as a Local Admin.

How can I accomplish this with Essentials 2012?

I was thinking perhaps I can simply add the Local Admin to the Domain Admin account I use to login ... if so, how is that accomplished?  (I have searched online, and get various answers including "it can't be done")!

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Ken St John

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 10:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows Server Essentials must be PDC(primary domain controller) of domain environment. as far as I know, DC does not have a local SAM database, it only have Domain database, so, local admin account does not exists/supported on DC – Windows Server Essentials.

If necessary, add a member server/device to your domain and install the app on this new member server.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Server Essentials must be PDC(primary domain controller) of domain environment. as far as I know, DC does not have a local SAM database, it only have Domain database, so, local admin account does not exists/supported on DC – Windows Server Essentials.

If necessary, add a member server/device to your domain and install the app on this new member server.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:30 AM
  • Thank you for your information.  This is not good news for the client.

Can you answer this - if a program installer is written to look for a local admin account, will it actually go ahead and work on Essentials 2012?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Ken St John

Sunday, January 14, 2018 7:30 PM
  • Hi,

I am not familiar with the function/work principle of the program installer you had mentioned, if local admin account is pre-requirement for successfully installation/working, then, as mentioned above, local admin is not exists on DC, including Windows Server Essentials SKU.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, January 15, 2018 2:49 AM