Report Builder - default save location RRS feed

• Question

• Someone must know how Report Builder gets it's default save location.

I want to make it the users My Reports folder.

I've scoured the ReportServer DB for some setting but can't find one.

I've also gone through the ReportBuilder.Application and Manifest files to no avail.

It seems to default to the location of the data model chosen.

As the models are in one place where the user has no access this is a problem.

The help indicates it should at least be in the Home folder, which is marginally better but not ideal.

TIA

Chris

Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:01 PM

All replies

• We have the same problem. It makes no sense that saving a Report Builder report defaults to the Models folder. This is also discussed here.
    Monday, June 30, 2008 11:12 PM
  • Thanks,
    I have already seen this post and unfortunately I think it sounds like the death knell of report manager.
    I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing but after taking my first look at RS 2008 this week. MS are definitely positioning Report Builder much more directly at Crystal rather than at the less technical user. Crystal is a great tool for the power user - nothing more , nothing less. Reporting Services is a great tool for the DBA/BI person. For the average end user Report builder is the better option. Sharepoint is where they are positioning it but RS is still the poor relation.

In my view this is a mistake. To expect a user to type =Format(Today(), dd MMM yyyy) to get today's date to say 30 Jun 2008 is stupid (which is the case in RB2005). RB gave the DBA just enough to  allow the user to produce reasonable reports without compromising security too much.
    From what I've seen RS has got much better but RB has got a lot more complex - negating it's raison d'être!

I'm past worrying about the default save location. I've just realised that virtually the whole BI market comes down to MS, Oracle, IBM and SAP now. 66% of the market bought up in 3 years - nice to know my career is headed in the right direction.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 7:00 AM
  • Please - we need an answer to this.  In a different post, an MS member of this forum eluded to a parameter name "savelocation" that can be configured for Report Builder when in SharePoint mode, when the New button is used to launch Report Builder to set the default location to which reports are saved.  But the actual technical documentation on how to do this was never posted to the forum, nor can it be found in MSDN or TechNet.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:29 PM