Unable to Search To-Do List RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook 2019 connected to Exchange 2016 on-prem

Searching To-Do List always comes back with "No Matches Found"

All other searching works perfectly

Have tested this same scenario on another Outlook 2019 / Exchange 2016 system with the same results - No Matches Found

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 4:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve ,

What's the version of your Outlook 2019? (File > Office Account > About Outlook). Please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.

To confirm if your issue is related to your Outlook client, please log in to the webmail and search in the To-Do list to see if the issue can be reproduced.

>> Searching To-Do List always comes back with "No Matches Found". All other searching works perfectly.

Can this problem be reproduced if you search the same key word in other Task lists?
    Does this issue only occur when searching specific key words?

According to my tests, if there is a task whose name is "Welcome test01" in the To-Do list, I will not get any result if I search "come" or "01" but I can get the results normally if I search “Wel” or "test" or "test01". This can be reproduced in different version of Outlook client and I'm afraid it is by design. If this is your case, please try to search complete keywords and see if the issue has any difference.

If this is not your case, to conduct further researches on your issue, please try the following suggestions:

1. Outlook search index issues may cause issues like this. It is suggested to rebuild the Outlook Search index via File > Options > Search > Indexing Options > Select Microsoft Outlook and choose Advanced > Rebulid and see if there is any difference.
    2. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    3. Custom view settings may cause this issue, please try to change the other views such as Detailed via View > Current View > Change View. Or you could try to run the /cleanviews command  (Press Win + R, type “Outlook.exe /cleanviews”, press Enter) and see if there is any difference.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:40 AM
  • 2019 MSO 16.0.10359.20023

Searching in Tasks works fine

I have an item in To-Do list called "test" - I search for "test" - No Matches Found

Searching for the same Item in Tasks find the "test" item

1. In Search, there are no items listed. My Outlook is running in Online mode, not caching mode.

Further testing with Outlook 2019 and Outlook 2016 indicates that if I enable Caching mode, To-Do list search works - This is BUG in Office 2019, 2016 / Exchange 2016 somewhere

As noted previously, I am seeing this in other Exchange on-prem environments

2. Safe Mode - Same Results - No Matches found

3. CleanView - - Same Results - No Matches found

Thursday, May 14, 2020 7:18 AM
  • Hi Steve ,

Thanks for your reply.

According to my tests in my environment, I have the same situation as you, can not find any results when search in To-Do List with online mode. I'm afraid that it is by design and if you would still like the feature, it is suggested for you to post via Outlook UserVoice.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 1:33 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any further updates on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Friday, May 22, 2020 2:23 AM
  • It appears that this "feature" works in an Outlook 2010 / Exchange 2010 environment
    Friday, May 22, 2020 12:16 PM
  • Hi Steve ,

Thanks for your reply.

Since the limitation of the environment, I could not test this feature in Outlook 2010 / Exchange 2010 environment. I tried To-Do list search in webmail and found that it can work fine. As a workaround, it is suggested to try the webmail or Outlook 2010 as you mentioned. Or if possible, using cache mode could also be a better choice.

By the way, in order to close this thread, would you mind kindly marking helpful replies or your own reply as answers? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:29 AM
  • Working in an RDS environment - caching mode not a great solution.

With the updates in the Online search features in Exchange 2106 / 2019, I would expect this to work in every mode

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 9:22 AM
  • Hi Steve ,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the inconvenience to you. Hope this feature could be updated soon.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 8:19 AM