none
DPM 2010 - Problem remapping Drive to Library RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm experiencing a weird behaviour with DPM 2010.

The scenario is: Dedicated physical server for Backups with Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 and DPM 2010 with latest updates.

DPM backs data to Hard Disks and a Tape Library, SCSI connected directly to this server. It's a SUN Storedge C2. Support from the manufacturer to this specific model is scarce, especially for Windows 2008. This Library is a rebranded Quantum Superloader 3. Another rebranded Quantum Superloader 3 is the Dell Powervault 124T.

I've been using this solution to backup several servers with sucess for quite some time now, but with a hicup. I was only able to have a library with slots and drive correctly associated if i used the built-in windows driver for a Quantum DLT x500 / x700 Library (Funny part is that i can't seem to find any information on the web regarding this device, as if it only existed for Microsoft) The problem is that this library doesn't support the Barcode Reader. Everything works fine, except for this component. It's not utterly essential, but it is very handy.

Whenever i try to use any other driver than the previous, always results in separatly but correctly detected Library and Drive (as stand-alone).

I've used the DPMDriveMappingTool, automatically and editing DPMA.xml with the correct information (S/N, Buses, etc). It always results in separate components. The library always shows with correct model, no drive, all the slots, but all empty. Won't run a quick inventory (barcode read only, though supported is stated in DPM GUI) wich results in this (correponds to dpma.xlm in image  2):

Performing Device Inventory ...
    Mapping Drives to Library ...
    No Media found in Library \\.\Changer0, Add atleast one non cleaner media in eac
    h Library.Mapping the Drives in the Library \\.\Changer0 failed.Error Code is: 0
    x80004004, Error Message is: Operation aborted
    Adding Standalone Drives ...
    Writing the Map File ...
    Drive Mapping Completed Successfully.

I've tried disabling the devices, reinstalling, redetecting, with diferent driver versions (for the library and Drive), different manufacturers (Dell has more recent drivers than Quantum itself) but only the built-in MS drivers (Quantum DLT x500 / x700) get me a functional library.

Since all the slots appear as empty (all occupied and with barcode labels), how can get the mapping tool to work correctly, if i can't populate this data? The barcode reader will only function correctly when library and drive "get married".

Howcome the mannually added library S/N in DPMA.xlm is ignored, even when the S/N is automatically identified in DPM GUI?

To ilustrate this better here is how things look like when all is working (except barcode reader):

And this is how it gets when the correct (?) drivers are used:

cAny help is welcome. :)

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

I am experiencing the same problems as Nuno, only that my Library is a HP SSL1016 LTO 460 model, which is also a rebranded Quantum Superloader 3.

The driver for the library is a Qunatum sourced QsmcX64.sys and QmCox64.sys with version 2.5.1.0, the library is recognized as "HP StorageWorks SSL1016 LTO Ultrium-2 Tape Autoloader".

The tape drive is a HP Ultrium 460 using the HP driver "hplto.sys" version 1.0.6.3, the tape is recognized as "Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-2 drive".

The server is an ML 150 G5 running Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Standard with DPM 2010.

Everything is the same as in the post above, DPM detects the library as tvo devices, a library without a drive and a seperate stand-alone drive.

If I try to use the DPMDriveMappingTool but it exits with an error that there is no non-cleaning media in the library event though there are 4 brand new tapes in it.

If I create a DPMLA.xml file manually it is completely ignored by DPM.

The DPM is installed in a non-default location of D:\DPM\Program Files\DPM\

The library and tape drive have the latest firmware images as per manufacturers pages.

Any idea how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

That library does not appear in the windows server catalog as being compatible with Windows 2008 X64.

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/item.aspx?idItem=8a65b045-4f83-2438-3cd9-455720dfb562&bCatID=1282

Consequently, it may not work with DPM.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:58 PM