Word 2010 Mail Merge Formatting Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who receives a .csv file from the local chamber of commerce.  The file contains name, address, city, state, and zip codes.  I import the file into Excel and then import that document into Word for the purpose of printing out these addresses on post cards.  Everything appears fine in the preview but I just can't seem to make the post cards print correctly.  The either print in the wrong orientation or the wrong area of the card. I'm almost certain that this is due to a mismatch of settings, but I've played around with the settings and nothing I do seems to correct the issue.  I've matched the orientation, paper size (4x6), etc on the printer with those in Word but still no luck.  Many times my changes will produce an error regarding the margine and ask if I want to continue. I will have to recreate the error and post it here. 

I should mention that I created this process for this client last year and it worked perfectly.  She was using the same laptop and printer. The printer will occasionally throw up a cartridge missing error or something along those lines.  I don't think this is related but could it possibly be a sign the printer is having issues and is the cause?

I greatly appreciate all replies, as I am completely stumped.  Thanks, Charles

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please first make sure you have the latest and the most appropriate printer driver installed. Try to download the latest printer driver from the official web site of your printer.

If possible, please try to switch to anoter printer to check if it will print properly.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:18 AM
  • Hi Steve.  Thanks so much for your reply!  I do have the latest printer drivers.  I downloaded them from the HP website.  I connected another printer to the laptop and I get the following error:

"The margins of section 2 are outside of the printable area of the page. Do you want to continue"

This is an error I had received on the other printer, although I did manage to play around with setting and make it go away.  If I click yes to continue, it will repeat the error but substitute section 2, 3, 4, etc.  So I think its safe to assume this is a formatting issue??

Going back to the original printer, I am now getting a "paper size mismatch" error.  Last night I did manage to get a post card to print by inserting it incorrectly but when I try again this morning I get the above error.  I would say nothing has changed (like most end users) but obviously that's not true.  Besides I wasn't really happy about the work around, I wanted to actually solve the problem.

Do you have any thought on the paper size mismatch or any other ideas?  This should be so simple yet it isn't cooperating :-)

Friday, June 6, 2014 4:20 PM