none
Migration from Roaming Profiles to User Profile Disks - RDS 2012 (R2)

Question

• Hi, I'm currently in the process of tweaking our RDS 2012 environment and have a question I hope someone can help me with....

The users who log onto the Collection are currently using roaming profiles stored on a 2008 R2 file server, but I'd like to move them onto User Profile Disks (looks to be a lot of pro's to it). Is there a way to migrate users profiles from roaming profiles to User Profile Disks? We already have a lot of users on the farm with roaming profiles and I'm guessing if UPD is enabled, it will only take effect with new users? I need to do this without too much hassle if possible

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Friday, February 28, 2014 12:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Paul,

Thank you for your posting in Windows Server Forum.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you cannot able to move\migrate the roaming user profile to new User profile disk on server 2012\R2. You need to move them manually. Please refer below thread.

Is it possible to migrate local profiles to user profile disks?
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/63ab2ce0-c581-4397-ae7f-d84b8f2b6bd8/is-it-possible-to-migrate-local-profiles-to-user-profile-disks?forum=winserverTS

Hope it helps! 

Thanks,
    Dharmesh
    Monday, March 3, 2014 4:28 AM
  • I actually found a way to migrate a roaming user profile to an UPD, though it is kind of a manual thing.
    If you have to do it just for a couple of users it may be worth of it, but I haven't done research for a programmatically way.

So here is how I did it on a Windows Server 2012R2:

Prerequisites:
    You have to be logged in as an administrator.
    Amend Explorer's view to show all file extensions, hidden and system files

1. copy all user profiles in question from c:\users to a safe location
    2. use ControlPanel->Advanced system settings, select Advanced->User Profiles and delete all roaming user profiles in question. This will erase the roaming profiles in c:\users.
    3. enable UPD
    4. Login with each user in question to have the UPD's created and logoff right away (no change required).
    5. by making use of sidder.exe (https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Sidder-Quickly-see-which-fa6360b3) figure out the UVHD file.
    6. right click on the UVHD and select mount
    7. go to the location where you have saved all roaming user profiles
    8. select all files/folders from the saved profile you have defined to be in the UPD e.g. APPDATA including the all registry hives e.g. ntuser.* and copy those folders and files to the mounted UVHD from above. Chose REPLACE" for all.
    9. eject the UVHD
    10. Login with the user and you will have the same profile back as it was before using an UPD.

Repeat from Step 5 to 10 until you have finished with all accounts.

Finally, you may delete the saved roaming profiles directories from Step 1.

HTH

Regards, Jim

• Proposed as answer by bertrand_odiwi Sunday, October 15, 2017 8:54 PM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 2:00 PM
  • Hi Jim,

thank you for reporting your solution. I've tried and it work's fine :)

Just be carefull when you copy/paste data from roaming profiles to UPD, in explorer remember to activate "show hidden and system files" so NTUser.DAT and others systems files are copied/pasted.

Bertrand

Sunday, October 15, 2017 8:58 PM
  • Thank you Betrand, good point to mention.

Sometime, the most obvious things are missed.

Regards, Jim

Friday, July 13, 2018 10:06 PM