Outlook "Automatic Replies" cannot Reply with Template of HTML, and cannot keep pictures inline of email body(got relocated to "attachments" area) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Team,

Two questions, 

1. Outlook "Automatic Replies" cannot Reply with Template of HTML. How to Auto reply with Template of HTML?

2. Outlook "Automatic Replies" cannot keep pictures inline of email body(got relocated to "attachments" area). How to keep all pictures inline of email body? to Auto reply emails coming from say 139 live 163 gmail etc.

Outlook Version 1803 (Build 9126.2336 Click-to-Run)

Semo-annual Chanel

FYI, I tried to use “Rules and Alerts”, client-only, so OUT

Thanks!

• Moved by Perry-Pan Monday, January 7, 2019 3:20 AM
    Friday, January 4, 2019 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi brant cao,

>> 1. Outlook "Automatic Replies" cannot Reply with Template of HTML. How to Auto reply with Template of HTML?

To add a template, we can go to File > Automatic Replies > Rules. Tick the option “Reply with Template”.

In this step, we cannot directly choose a template from File System. If you’ve already created some templates, you can copy the content to it.

>> 2. Outlook "Automatic Replies" cannot keep pictures inline of email body (got relocated to "attachments" area)

Automatic replies are processed on the server which may not be related with Outlook client. You can close Outlook client and then send emails from those accounts on the web mail directly to your account. Check if images display correctly.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, January 7, 2019 4:23 AM
  • Hi, Perry,

Thanks for you reply.

1. File > Automatic Replies > Rules, “Reply with Template”

That's exactly where I configured, I did copy and paste content into it. But the question is how to insert Template of "HTML" file in the body of an email, say autoreply.html, which get rendered automatically when user open the email, just like a browser does.

2. "close Outlook client and then send emails from those accounts on the web mail directly to your account"

I did that as well. Got the same problem, which is "Inline pictures been relocated to ATTACHMENTS area". All those accounts do not display correctly, except from company 365 email account. Any tips?

Thanks!

• Edited by brant cao Tuesday, January 8, 2019 5:54 AM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:02 AM
  • Hi brant cao,

>>But the question is how to attach/insert Template of "HTML"?

Do you mean to insert HTML files to the message body? Please refer to this article.

>>Got the same problem, which is "Inline pictures been relocated to ATTACHMENTS area". All those accounts do not display correctly, except from company 365 email account. Any tips?

Are they linked images? From the description, this issue only happen to external users, right?

Do all recipients use Outlook client?

If I've misunderstood anything, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, January 8, 2019 6:39 AM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2019 6:05 AM
  • Hi, Perry,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Please refer to this article.

I tried the Insert as Text option, but some pictures/items got lost. Seems like it's not fully supporting elements in HTML file. Correct me if anything missed here.

2. Are they linked images?

non-linked images. 

The issue only won't be seen when I'm using company email. 

Same error for both outlook client and web client. What i did in brief, live.com email with outlook client, 139.com, 163.com with web client.  

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

I haven't found related articles about what is not supported when inserting HTML file to Email. But when testing here, I will see an error and some elements get lost. If we manually insert those pictures, does it work for you?

>>Same error for both outlook client and web client

Based on my test and research, I'm afraid that this is decided by the server. I'd like to recommend you to contact the server provider to see if they have any good ideas.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, January 11, 2019 5:51 AM
  • Hi, Perry,

Thanks for your reply.

1. If we manually insert those pictures, does it work for you?

A: Pictures becomes placeholders in the email body of auto-reply, as follows.

Pictures becoming into placeholders

2. recommend you to contact the server provider to see if they have any good ideas

In our use case, those people, who send emails to our auto-reply address, is actually our customers, and later should be notified and redirected to proper team for further assistance(in auto-reply contents). 

It's not practical to have any of our customers to change any server setting, like their live.com setting, only to receive our auto-reply email.

We have no other way but to make sure, from our side, the auto-reply function and contents are correct and well-formatted.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Monday, January 14, 2019 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

I've research a lot and haven't found related official articles. Can you replace images with text in automatic reply? As a workaround, we can also directly edit message body instead of inserting HTML content.

Besides, Outlook has a HTML rendering issue. Since Outlook 2007, Outlook uses Word or a Word-based engine to render HTML emails instead of using Internet Explorer in earlier versions. This may be the cause for HTML displaying issue.

We dropped IE as the rendering engine for security reasons. In this way, we have better control over the active content the rendering engine can display, while if using Internet Explorer to render HTML, it would display everything and could run virus infected email automatically. However, this may cause some rendering issues. See this article for more details:

https://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/wordhtml.htm

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, January 17, 2019 5:20 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:08 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 5:11 AM