none
Exchange 2019 URL update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm at the planning stages for a Exchange 2013 to 2019 migration currently.

As part of the migration I want to change the URLs used by clients to connect to Exchange to reflect our new company name that changed as part of a rebrand last year.

Currently all of the internal and external URL's used by clients are the same:

autodiscover.oldname.com

mail.oldname.com

I want to change all of the URL's to:

autodiscover.newname.com

mail.newname.com

As part of the rebrand process I already have newname.com as an accepted domain with Exchange 2013, and a SSL cert with the new and old subject alternate names included. We have been sending and receiving email on both old and new domains without issue for the last year.

My question is, is there likely to be any issue or outage if I change all of the URL's to reflect the new company name now, ahead of the introduction of the new 2019 servers - or should I wait until the new servers are in place?

Also, what impact if any will there be changing the SCP from autodiscover.oldname.com to autodiscover.newname.com given that fqdn's for both are already included in the SSL cert in use on all 2013 servers?

Thanks

Matt

Friday, February 14, 2020 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm at the planning stages for a Exchange 2013 to 2019 migration currently.

As part of the migration I want to change the URLs used by clients to connect to Exchange to reflect our new company name that changed as part of a rebrand last year.

Currently all of the internal and external URL's used by clients are the same:

autodiscover.oldname.com

mail.oldname.com

I want to change all of the URL's to:

autodiscover.newname.com

mail.newname.com

As part of the rebrand process I already have newname.com as an accepted domain with Exchange 2013, and a SSL cert with the new and old subject alternate names included. We have been sending and receiving email on both old and new domains without issue for the last year.

My question is, is there likely to be any issue or outage if I change all of the URL's to reflect the new company name now, ahead of the introduction of the new 2019 servers - or should I wait until the new servers are in place?

Also, what impact if any will there be changing the SCP from autodiscover.oldname.com to autodiscover.newname.com given that fqdn's for both are already included in the SSL cert in use on all 2013 servers?

Thanks

Matt

I would add the new certs to the 2019 servers when they are introduced and set the SCP only on the new servers for the new FQDN. Set the 2019 Virtual dirs to the new URLS.

Then point all the DNS for the new and the old FQDNs to the 2019 servers so all the client connections go through there.

You havent said if you have a load balancer or not, but you can also add the 2019 servers to the existing  2013 load balancer namespace. If you do that, then I would replace the certs on the 2013 servers to match the 2019 certs since they have all the required SAN values for both the 2013 and 2019 servers.

Friday, February 14, 2020 2:17 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

The current cert will be used on the new servers as it contains the new and old SAN values already.

We do use a loadbalancer - split DNS is used with the internal namespaces (autodiscover and mail) pointing at the VIP of the Exchange 2013 servers.

Assuming I add the 2019 servers to the existing loadbalancer service, and set the SCP on the 2019 servers as suggested, it is my understanding the 2019 servers take precedence over the 2013 servers when serving client connections from that point on - is that correct?

Thanks

Matt

Friday, February 14, 2020 3:17 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

The current cert will be used on the new servers as it contains the new and old SAN values already.

We do use a loadbalancer - split DNS is used with the internal namespaces (autodiscover and mail) pointing at the VIP of the Exchange 2013 servers.

Assuming I add the 2019 servers to the existing loadbalancer service, and set the SCP on the 2019 servers as suggested, it is my understanding the 2019 servers take precedence over the 2013 servers when serving client connections from that point on - is that correct?

Thanks

Matt

If you add to the existing load balancer and leave the 2013 in the load balancer, then any server can handle client requests. I would then apply the new cert to all the servers in the pool. If the certs do not all match, it could cause issues. Since the SCPs should essentially point to the same load balance pool, its not absolutely essential that the 2013 SCPs match the 2019, but I would  set those anyway.

In the end, all the URLs are going to point to that same LB pool right? As long as the cert names are valid and match what is set on the URLs and SCP, it should work pretty seamlessly.

You then have the luxury of removing the 2013 servers from the pool at your own pace.

You essentially can follow the same model as this:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/client-connectivity-in-an-exchange-2016-coexistence-environment/ba-p/603925

Friday, February 14, 2020 3:49 PM