Any tool or tip for when creating a selection profile based on a task sequence. RRS feed

• Question

• I need to create a USB boot media. I've already have a task sequence that deploys fine when using UNC method.

This TS have a bunch of single applications to install. Is there a tool that can read the TS and create a selection profile based on what is needed for this TS to deploy over USB media.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know there is no tool to do that.

Is you're a script addict you could read the TS xml file then generate a selection profile based on what your read.

Or you could manually move your applications to a folder in the MDT console and build your selection profile with this folder.

Regards,

My technet galleries contributions : <a href="http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ConfigMgr-Driver-Injector-aae7d17d"> ConfigMgr driver injector</a> // <a href="http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/SCCM-Collection-Splitter-e1c82b06"> SCCM Collection splitter</a>

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:13 AM
  • I just did. I use findstr to find all guid. Then in vbscript i use something like this

Function VirtualPath(sGuid)
        Dim xmldoc
        Set xmldoc = WScript.CreateObject("msxml2.domdocument")
        xmldoc.load ("\\MDTServer\DeploymentShare$\Control\ApplicationGroups.xml")
        xmlDoc.async = False
        Dim xApps : Set xApps = xmldoc.selectNodes("//groups//group//Member[. ='" & sguid & "']")

    For Each n In xApps
            Set xNode = n.parentnode
            VirtualPath = xNode.selectSingleNode(".//Name").nodeTypedValue & vbTab
            WScript.Echo VirtualPath
        Next
    End Function

For me the application selection is the hardest part since we sort our application using <Company name>\<Application name> (example Microsoft\Office 2013 ProPlus). 

I needed to script the application virtual path. However, script above requires some manually tweaking each time but its no biggie.

Drivers are easy. We use <OS-Arch>\%Model%, so I simple select the correct OS-arch folder.

OS is a single selection and can be done manually.

It would be nice to know if someone made a better tool instead of my quick and dirty script.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:39 AM